35 Remington Bullet tests

Pretty interesting read. Looks like the 180 gr Speer performs very well along with the 200 gr Rem CL. The 220 gr Speer would likely dig real deep on big animals.

The 200 gr SPCL is about the best bullet out there for the 35 Rem. Good expansion and penetration.

JD338

I have a box of Barnes 180 grain TTSX BT bullets ordered. I plan to test them in all three of my 35s. My Rem. 7600 carbine does not like the 150 gr. factory loads. It does group real well the 200 grain soft points. I have been looking for a pointed BT and now Barnes is making them. This load should be a much flatter shooting fast load for all three. 35 rem.-35 Whelen-350 RemMag. Results to follow. I would like to see Nosler offer a 180 grainer in .358cal,.

MagTen, since you can run pointed bullets in your 35 Rem, those 180's would be pretty decent. Check out Leverevolution powder. It allows me to get to 2300 with the 200gr CLRN bullet. So far, for me, the 35 Rem doesn't need much other than this bullet. It his pretty hard and expands well at 35 Rem speeds. That 180 would be a zipper in a 358 or Whelen though.. good luck and post up your results. Scotty

Almost a year later. I did a lot of testing with the 200gr. AB BT in my 7600 35 remington. My son and I shot three NC mtn. whitetails in one day. The large doe my son shot with the 35 rem. was hit in the lungs, a pass through and hit at 75 yards. About a 2 inch hole coming out. The deer ran 150 yards and piled up. I specifically asked him to shoot behind the shoulder to save meet for my friend. My two deer were shot in the shoulder with my whelen with 180 gr. Barnes ttsx. One was DRT and one ran 30 yards missing the entire right shoulder.

After gutting all three deer I was totally surprised at the damage to liver & lungs on the deer my son shot. I think the 200gr. AB did a great job on the deer.

The Nosler 200gr. AB will be my regular bullet for my 35 rem.

MagTen":mhkjghx3 said:
Almost a year later. I did a lot of testing with the 200gr. AB BT in my 7600 35 remington. My son and I shot three NC mtn. whitetails in one day. The large doe my son shot with the 35 rem. was hit in the lungs, a pass through and hit at 75 yards. About a 2 inch hole coming out. The deer ran 150 yards and piled up. I specifically asked him to shoot behind the shoulder to save meet for my friend. My two deer were shot in the shoulder with my whelen with 180 gr. Barnes ttsx. One was DRT and one ran 30 yards missing the entire right shoulder.

After gutting all three deer I was totally surprised at the damage to liver & lungs on the deer my son shot. I think the 200gr. AB did a great job on the deer.

The Nosler 200gr. AB will be my regular bullet for my 35 rem.

The 200 gr AccuBond is one of my favorites for the 35 Whelen sounds like a winner for the 35 Remington too. You are the first I have heard of trying the 180 gr TTSX, it must be a screamer in the Whelen.

For the 200gr CLRN H4895 hits 2200 fps in 20" barrels, TAC will do 2250 fps.
Its the 220gr that needs the LVR powder to get 2200 fps or the 200gr Flextip do to its longer bearing surface. Its beleived you can't stuff too much LVR in a 35rem case to get into trouble.

I think my 200gr CLRN at 2188 fps from my 336D (18.5" ported barrel) is all I need for both shock/expansion and penetration. But that 220gr at 2200 fps is very close to the 356win with the same bullet at 2350 fps (just a difference of extra range).

35remington over on marlinowners has loading the 35 Rem covered.

Back