45-70 525 gr BTPD bullet test

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
How many 4 qt milk jugs filled with water do you think can be penetrated by a 45-70 shooting a 525 gr Beartooth Piledriver bullet at 1650 fps :?:

I should have enough jugs to do this test in a couple of weeks . In the mean time submit your guess on this post and we will see when i shoot them up ! 8)

Cheers RJ :grin:

525 grains at 1650 sounds like a thumper at both ends.

I'll guess... in the 6th jug.

Less typing, more milk Jim :shock: :lol: If it's a hard cast who knows maybe 10 jugs?

gerry":3jtr4w48 said:
Less typing, more milk Jim :shock: :lol: If it's a hard cast who knows maybe 10 jugs?

Uh, I am guessing on the minimum of 16 jugs. We did some 500's at jugs and 15 jugs wouldn't hold them started 1150FPS... Put up a good backstop!

Put a few jugs behind the shooter. That way you can determine how much rear thrust that load develops. LOL :mrgreen:

Scotty took my guess of 16 so I will say 17.

Ya better drink more milk! :mrgreen:

JD338

Charlie-NY":1m1owe8s said:
Put a few jugs behind the shooter. That way you can determine how much rear thrust that load develops. LOL :mrgreen:

I have already shot them and i know the rear thrust is HARSH ! :shock: LOL

Rem Jim":2ewkg0s2 said:
Charlie-NY":2ewkg0s2 said:

I have already shot them and i know the rear thrust is HARSH ! :shock: LOL

I ran the 425's at about 1950 and MAN O MAN! They were all I wanted to hold onto in the little Guide Rifle. It commits some violence when you press that trigger!

My 420 Bullet Barn cast with gas check- i load them with a fat stuffing of H322 also and across the chrno they register a avg of 1985 fps and they kick pretty hard too - BUT not as bad as the 1650 fps-525 gr loads ! Its Harsh but FUN ! I like the pain ! LOL :)

Cheers RJ :)

Rem Jim":yw1tn5mp said:
My 420 Bullet Barn cast with gas check- i load them with a fat stuffing of H322 also and across the chrno they register a avg of 1985 fps and they kick pretty hard too - BUT not as bad as the 1650 fps-525 gr loads ! Its Harsh but FUN ! I like the pain ! LOL :)

Cheers RJ :)

You are right about that Jim! Those 420-425's seem to really make the rifle move around some. It isn't a bench round for me at all!

Back