elk loads for 50 cal

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
:grin: My wonderful and beautiful wife has bought for my birthday a guided muzzleloader hunt in the Flattops wilderness in Colorado. She also bought me a new .50 cal. Traditions Persuit Pro for Christmas last year. After talking to several people and the folks at Powerbelt, the load I am currently working with is 90 to 100 gr of FFF triple 7 and a 444 grain solid, zeroed 2 inches hi at 50 yards. I havn't tried this at farther ranges yet, but I will. (50 is what I can get in my back yard) I get about a 2 inch group with open sights and my glasses.
Do any of you have any other suggestions? the hunt will probably be next year or the following year depending on when I get drawn. so I still have some time. Thanks in advance!

JDMAG,

Your wife is a keeper! Congratulations.

Take a look at the .451 PT's. 260 gr HP and 300 gr Protected Point.
I would try the 300 gr PT PP first w/ 100 grs of Triple 7.
Put a good scope on your rifle like the Leupold M8 4x.

JD338

Yep I better keep her. she can cook too, and has a job!!!
The only problem with those bullets is that you have to have a sabot with them I believe. and as for a scope, your not allowed to have that in colorado either. no sabots, no scope, and no pre pressed pellets of powder! Thats colorado for ya! However after the Elk hunt I do plan on putting a good scope on it and useing it for deer here in Tn. Is that Leupold you mentioned good for muzzleloaders?
Thanks!

Too bad about the sabots and scope in CO. Try the Power Belt bullets.
The Leupold M8 4x is excellent for a muzzleloader. I have one with the heavy DuPlex reticle on my M700 50 cal. I have killed many WT deer with this combo using the 44 cal 250 gr PT and the last coouple of years with the 45 cal 260 gr PT. I always get a nice exit wound and a short blood trail.
Some where on the Nosler web site are some photos, one is a late season WT shot with a 45 cal 260 gr PT. You can see the exit wound which is about the size of a quarter.

JD338

Power belts aren't legal for use in CO muzzleloader only hunt either. Only the good ole patch and ball, maxi-ball type bullets.

I didn't know that!
I guess that is why they call it a primitive season. I would try some Buffalo Bullet Company 385 gr HP #50385 bullets, prelubed, 20 per
foam pkg. These shot good from a T/C White Mt Carbine I had years ago.

JD338

According to the Colorado Devision of Wildlife, (the last time I asked them) the Powerbelts ARE legal. They are not considered a sabot. it's alot closer to a gas check. and I don't think Poewerbelt calls it that. That said, my wife says that my Colorado hunting guide arrived this week, so I'll check again when I get home.Or I may call them again tomorrow.

Well Stinky, that bullet looks interesting weather or not power belts are legal in Colorado. what can you tell me about them?
Right now I am shooting 444 grain Powerbelts, 2 inches hi at 50 yards as per their (Powerbelt) instructions. Hopefully in the next week or 2 I'll be able to stretch that out to 150 or maybe even 200 yards to see where it is hitting (with my own eyes)
Thanks,
JD

jd, i haven't used them personally but a friend of mine introduced them to me. He had ordered some after seeing them on the Northwoods Adventure show. He has used them on Black Bear with great success but i havent used them yet, sorry.

Maybe to late, could give the 460gr No Excuses conical a look for comparison. I used them to take elk, moose and few deer. Accurate and devasting on game, IME. This was from my original inline, a gonic using 120 gr of RS. I'd try them with 777 up to a max of 100 gr in your pursuit.

http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page3.html

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Thanks!
I'm going to try to find some or order from the web and try them. I didn't get drawn for this years hunt so I have time to experiment. I don't want to say "plenty" of time, because then I'll run out. :?

These are what I am working with now in my savage MLII

MZ%20Tipped%20sm.jpg

POP":2qaq4ax1 said:
These are what I am working with now in my savage MLII

MZ%20Tipped%20sm.jpg

Pop, how are they doing? What GR/Sabot/load/powder/primer? I have heard mixed reviews on the TMZ's/10II.

Back