My Inheritance

tapehoser

Beginner
Sep 6, 2005
Got this Thompson/Center Hawken .50 Cal caplock rifle from my father today. His health will likely prohibit him ever shooting it again. I will use it this fall for the deer hunt in southern Utah.

He didn't have an owner's manual, so I ordered one from T/C - man, they are great on customer service. Sent an email and had a response before I got to the office the next day.

Hawken50-2.jpg

Hawken50-3.jpg

Hawken50-5.jpg

Nice!

Does it have a fast enough twist for sabots? I have used both the 44 cal 250 gr PT and the 45 cal 260 gr PT on WT deer, both put the smack on them with nice exit holes and lots of blood for tracking.

Hope your Dad's health get better so you both can hunt.

Regards,

JD338

Most likely this rifle will have a 1-48 in. twist.This will handily shoot mini balls(slugs) or patched round balls..With 2f Goex blackpowder,a charge of 80 gr. max. for hunting,50- 70 grains of same for target shooting or plinking.If you use 3f Goex,reduce charge by ten(10) grains.Hope this has been some help.BTW,T/C makes a fine barrel.

My pop has hunted with it twice in the past and both times used a 240 grain Hornady XTP in .430 with a plastic sabot around it.

I know he is using Goex, just not sure which one. He claims that the load he has used in the past is something like 90-100 grains. I have yet to verify this, however.

Dang! That thing comes apart and cleans easier than snot! Lots of fun!

Good looking rifle! I enjoy shooting and hunting with rifles, shotguns and handguns passed down to me by Dad and Grandpa. Enjoy!

Back