PT's in a Muzzleloader

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I thought I would jump start the muzzle loader site.

I had good luck with the Nosler .451" 260 gr PT in my M700 50 cal muzzle loader this year during the MI black powder season. The Triple 7 powder is very accurate and easy to clean.
I took a doe the second morning at 50 yds and a 7 pt at 35 yds towards the end of the season. Bullet performance was excellent.
For those interested, Nosler has posted a picture of my buck on their web site. You can see the nice clean exit hole that I always get with the PT's.
I have used the .429" 250 gr PT up until last year when I switched over to the .451" 260 gr PT. I always have a good but short blood trail with these bullets.

Anyone else using Nosler PT's in their smoke poles?

Regards,

JD338

Glad to hear of your success. I've always used the plain old round ball. I use a 58 cal. T.C.

I am glad to hear of your success. I shot a decent 4point Muley (8point Eastern count) last fall (2003) with the 260 grain Nosler Partition in a Knight HP sabot. I was shooting a TC Firehawk in .54 caliber. Never found the bullet as it went clean through. I was really impressed with this bullet in my rifle.

I also shot a decent 3x3 muley a few years ago with the Nosler 250 grain JHP in the same rifle. I found this bullet, mushroomed perfectly against the hide opposite of the entrance hole.

Both of the these loads were touched off with a load of 100 grains Pyrodex RS. Pretty nice accuracy averaging around 2-3" at 100 yards with a peep sight.

This year I broke in a new 50 caliber Knight by shooting a large 2x3 buck (same size as the above mentioned 4x4). I was happy with the performance of the first load I tried and I didn't mess with success. That load consisted of a 100 grain 777 Ffg and a 300 grain Hornady SST. I am getting regular groups of 1 1/2"-2" with this combo. This coming year I will break out the Partition box and try them in my new combo.

I hope this forum does great. I love to shoot Blackpowder rifles and look forward to the ML deer season from the moment it finishes the year prior.

FH

Sorry that my name didn't register when I replied to the above question. I thought that I had logged in and it would automatically put my name in. I must have typed something wrong. Oh Well, I am Firehawk, named after my first and to this day, favorite ML rifle.

I also shoot a Cabelas Hawken that I built from a kit. I have had a lot of fun with it and look forward to shooting an animal with it too.

I sold the Firehawk to my brothers buddy and bought the Knight I posted about earlier. I was really excited at first, but I find this Extreme primer deal a little awkward. It is very waterproof though. Last year we had rain for 3 days. On the last day I went to put the 4 wheeler away and noticed one of my Red Primer thingys laying in the dirt and grass. It had sat there since the first night after I took my buck.

As an experiment, I picked up the primer, shook the water off of it, loaded my rifle and proceeded to shoot a hole through a dead tree trunk. Instantaneous combustion. I was thoroughly impressed. Hopefully, I can get used to loading it up quickly. Anyway, I liked the performance of the rifle this year and will try to get used to it.

Have fun shooting. Remember, shoot straight, shoot fast!

FH

Back