Turkey Hunting

we had 4 youth hunters , they took 2 birds . not too bad of a day in the turkey woods . sounds like they want to come back next year . the one lease member has a camp about an hour away from the lease , the kids wanted to stay at his camp

View attachment 22536
Jim, this is great. Congratulations to the hunters for trying something new and congratulations to the mentors who took the time to take the kids out.

Went out yesterday after supper and saw 5 deer and 2 sandhill cranes. Howie’s box call did set off the cranes. They make enough noise to scare off the dead.
This morning went out to my deer stand in the 40 and no luck yet.

Went out yesterday after supper and saw 5 deer and 2 sandhill cranes. Howie’s box call did set off the cranes. They make enough noise to scare off the dead.
This morning went out to my deer stand in the 40 and no luck yet.
Keep at it. The birds wander all day. You will have a lover boy stroll by who's looking for love. Don't call too often.

JD338

PA's shooting hours are until noon for the first two weeks . the second two weeks until dark . I've never tried to hunt turkey after noon . most times I have trouble getting on them after about 9:30 or 10:00 . things get slow and quiet , and I get to thinking I should be getting something on my to do list worked on .

Yes, you will like it. Not only do need to learn about turkeys but you need to learn about turkey calls and turkey calling. Unfortunately, I am not a good caller and therefore, it is a challenge to me. But, it is an exciting experience when you can interact with a turkey and get one to respond to you. I find May sunrises to be especially beautiful.

Been hearing a few around before we set off for Kentucky. Got home last night and the daughter was complaining of some hens getting into her garden while we were gone. I need to learn to play this turkey game.
It's quite addictive. Spring gobbler has been my favorite type of hunting for a long time now.

Back