Wild Game Meatloaf

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I've been doing a fair amount of cooking during the past several weeks. I'm feeling positively domestic at times. Nevertheless, a few evenings past, I made a meatloaf that turned out to be a hit. It is always nice to have a few successes.

I used:

1 pound of ground moose
1/2 pound of ground pork
6 strips of lean bacon
1 chopped onion
5 hot peppers chopped
1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup of Asiago cheese
1 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper
smokey paprika

I made a topping that used:

1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
Several generous dashes of chipotle Tobasco sauce

I coated the bacon strips with brown sugar and cooked for a couple of minutes on a paper towel by placing in the microwave on high.

I then sautéed the onion and peppers in butter until translucent, at which time I added the balsamic vinegar and sautéed about a minute longer.

Then, I combined the moose, pork, onions, peppers, bread crumbs, sour cream and vinegar, and seasoned with salt, pepper and smokey paprika.

Then I shaped the loaf, placed the topping on the loaf. Next, I laid the bacon strips over the topping.

After baking at 350 degrees for 75 minutes, I had an excellent meatloaf. I served this with garlic mashed potatoes, and used the extra topping to place on the meat loaf as desired.

I was informed by the lady of the house that I could make this again. It was just as good the next day as a meatloaf sandwich.

Thanks a lot.....got any suggestions for cleaning drool off the keyboard?

That sounds amazing! Might have to give it a go with some elk instead of moose since I don't have any moose.....

Just tried this recipe tonight for dinner.....and I must say you have a winner! It was absolutely top notch!!! The wife even asked me to put some in a box for her lunch tomorrow. Will definitely be on the menu again down the road. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it, shoots_5. It was great for us. Mama liked it, for sure. The meatloaf is a cardiologist's nightmare, but that is what makes it so tasty.

Rod,

Let me know how you like it when you try it. I made a similar meatloaf with black bear ( http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10109). Took it to a wild game dinner that we sponsor at my church. It was fascinating watching people that vowed they would never eat bear going back for second and third helpings. This would work quite well with venison, moose or elk. In fact, I've made it on several occasions with each of these game meats. It is also quite good.

Back