225 Accubond, 35 Whelen

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
I've already posted this info in the main reloading forum but here they are in the appropriate bullet test forum, as promised:

35 Whelen
225 AccuBond
2580 FPS

The bullet went completely through six jugs, punctured the skin of the seventh and ended up on the ground.

It retained 175.7 gr (77.8%) and expanded to .662"

Recovered bullet:

DSC02282.JPG

DSC02283.JPG

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwj5HO0kW70&feature=youtube_gdata

Excellent performance. Good weight retention, as well. Thanks for posting, Trevor.

They sure built this slug right, a great combination of toughness and expansion. Thanks for posting.

Trevor,

Good work. That is one tough bullet.

JD338

:lol: Well it did just what it is soposed to do. Looks like the perfect combo for the Whelen and either a Bull Elk or Moose just couldnt hope to have a better combo throw at them then a 225AB traveling along at 2600 fps :wink:
Thanks for the test results................ great job.

Thanks Trevor, that is excellent performance. That will be my heavy hitter for the rest of
my hunting days :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":395b3lzt said:
Thanks Trevor, that is excellent performance. That will be my heavy hitter for the rest of
my hunting days :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, you gotta try 60 grains of RL15, CCI250's and RP brass buddy, with the FABULOUS 250 PT. I am telling you buddy, it runs a little over 2600 out of my CDL and is very accurate. I goofed around with the 225 AB some, but really, with the BC of the 250 and the hitting power, it doesn't leave anything on the table.

DSC_2738.jpg

DSC_2897.jpg

DSC_2898.jpg

.280 Remington":1pihxazh said:
Not a bad price either....................

No sir, not at all! The Whelen is a good cartridge for sure.

Kinda makes me feel guilty I haven't gotten mine out a little more this year.. It is a good rifle for heavy work.

That one will serve you well. I let mine get away, and it cost me to get a whelen that would shoot as well as it did.

Back