230 grain Norma Oryx 338 Win Mag 2900 FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I had some of these on the shelf and have had them loaded up for a few weeks. Finally grabbed some jugs so I decided to get after it.

I shot three on paper to see if they were generally close to my 225 PT load. A little left, but close enough for jugs at 25 yards..

I recovered this from the bottom of jug #7 and it retained about 141 grains. I actually had expected the penetrate a little less and retain a little more weight, but still, a good hunting bullet for sure.

It sure lost some weight but it would get the job done.

JD338

The bullet certainly penetrated deep, looks to be a good bullet.

It would definitely put a hurt on anything shot with it. Great penetration.

Are the jackets on those thinner than the other Oryx? I'm with you Scotty thinking it should have held more considering what the 7's and 375's look like.

nvbroncrider":1qwgu9hp said:
Are the jackets on those thinner than the other Oryx? I'm with you Scotty thinking it should have held more considering what the 7's and 375's look like.

Not sure Jake. The 200 out of the 300 Weatherby at nearly the same speed looked pretty good. Still, I think its a good bullet, 7 jugs is a lot of penetration, and it didn't fall apart, but I think it might went wide enough that it lost alot of lead off the skirt as it went through the jugs.

Scotty, if you have an opportunity try some of the Sierra 225 grain pro hunters. I have had great penetration and weight retention with that bullet. I haven't had an opportunity to do any jug work with that bullet.

Never tried it. I'd definitely run one though. Tried to use them as a practice bullet for the 225 PT but I couldn't find any and decided on the 225 Speer.

I'd love to see how the Sierra works though. Heard good things about it.

Back