250 grain Rhino 35 Newton 2700FPS 7th jug

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is one of the South African Rhino's, This bullet was launched from my 35 Newton at 2700FPS, almost right on the nose. The bullet was found in between jug 7 and 8. It was actually pressed into 8 enough to keep it from leaking. All but one of the petals sheared off and the last petal was just about to shear off as well.

Fine performance; that would give any hunter confidence. Great data, Scotty.

Nice performance Scotty.
That will kill anything in NA and then some.

JD338

I am surprised the petals tore off so easily to be honest. 2700 isn't real fast for modern bullets so seeing the petals ripped off seems a little odd. I've got some smaller caliber ones I can drive fast from my. 270 and 7mm mags. I'd like to see if they do the same.

Scotty,

Try backing off the velocity to 2300-2400 and see what happens. That should be a 250 yd impact velocity for the big Newton.

JD338

For sure it would be interesting to see what the smaller bullets pushed at somewhat higher velocities do at impact velocities.

Added a few pictures of retained weight and expanded frontal area.

Yeah, not too bad. I was just surprised the copper seemed so brittle to shear off at 2700FPS. I will probably load up a few and shoot them for accuracy, just to see how they work in that area.

I'm not real surprised about the petals breaking off.

Had the same thing happen with the Barnes TSX in the infamous jug test. Though I was dealing with a higher impact velocity, 100 gr bullets from my .25-06 at 3340 fps mv.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16540

Good penetration. Massive destruction of the jugs, just like on a mule deer buck that I also shot at about 20 yards (yes, with the .25-06... sigh). Those petals can break off. I suspect they fly off and create their own wound tracks in the animal as well.

Regards, Guy

Yeah, I would tend to get it more at your speeds you were getting Guy, but at 2700 I wouldn't have expected it as much.. I guess the only way to know is to kill something with them though.. :lol:

I have enough to try a little bit of accuracy testing and see where they print in comparison to the 250 PT's in my Newton. If they are similar, they could hunt. With a big bullet like the 358's, they should cause a whole lotta damage and being that they went thru 7 jugs, I am not anything but a long shot thru an elk or larger would hold onto them.

That's pretty impressive Scotty. I wonder if the hardness of the jacket is what made some of the petals break off like they did. That's pretty fine penetration and would take a heck of an elk to keep on inside on.

Back