look at the pictures attached.

56gr picture: 1st two shots were good (.430"), third kind of a flier (opened
1.90"). Don't know why?

56gr.jpg

57gr. Picture: Best group of the three which was .916"

91657gr.jpg

58gr. Picture: group opened up to 1.950"

58gr.jpg

What would be the best thing to do to close the groups up? I'm planning on using the 57 gr pic and adjust col, but which way would close the triangle to be tighter? I'm fairly new at reloading and these non lead bullets can get expensive.

Several questions suggest themselves to me:

Is your barrel heating up so that it walks? Are you giving it plenty of time to cool between shots?

Is there a pressure point in the barrel channel?

What is the twist on your barrel?

Does the rifle print good groups at other bullet weights?

Perhaps RL17 is not the best propellant to use with the 110 grain TSX. I am not seeing an advantage with RL17 in standard cartridges, though there does seem to be a clear advantage in the short, fat cases. Barnes recommends 59 grains of H4350 as their accuracy load. It would be worth trying this at some point as well.

It is always possible that the first picture is an artifact. In other words, the load shoots an average of two inches, and the first and third shots were near the extremis of the group. It just so happened that the second shot was kissing the first. Three shot groups will give you some idea of a load, but before you can really say much about the accuracy, you will need a larger sample size.

try IMR 4350, I use to shoot 58 gr behind a 110 gr hornady HP, with the 110's you can't get closer to the rifeling so changing velocity is the next best thing to try, keep bumping the charge up as long as you see no high pressure signs and see what it does.
RR

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I'm letting the barrel cool between shots, the barrel is free floated,and is bedded.The rifle will shoot 130gr winchester factory loads under 3/4" groups.
The loads are for my 270 win Marlin XL7. I chose 110gr. TSX bullets for the deer around here, we have blacktail deer in my area and they don't get that big. Also want I to mention in the area I hunt we have to use lead free bullets for the cute Condors.

So far I settled on 57grs. of Reloader 17. See targets below and let me know what you think. It seems to me that the bullet likes to be closer to the lands. I spoke to Ty at Barnes and he recommend to start .050" off the lands.

.050" off lands
91657gr.jpg

.030 & .040"
DSCF3271.jpg

.060" / 2 bullets through one hole

DSCF3272.jpg

.070"
DSCF3273.jpg

I think my next batch of loads will be .015", .020" & .025" off the lands as the .030" is good enough for hunting, But I need to back up the .030" to make sure. Just being picky. Any suggestions?

Keep on playing with seating depths.

I fixed your pictures. :lol:

+1 on POP's suggestion.

I'd be leery of seating too close to the lands with a monolithic as pressure can develop quickly as it begins to engrave the lands. 0.030 inch off the lands is plenty close. I'd also explore seating even as much as 0.100 inch off the lands. In a surprising number of instances, including evidence for the E-Tip, a long jump to the lands improves accuracy.

Thanks POP for fixing the pics.

I just want to say thanks for the advice given to me. I happy with the end results.

New range update photos. I'm finally found my load for next year or pigs. Just wanted to share the results.

100 yards target.

.030" off the lands. Group .492" from center to center
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/t ... CF3282.jpg

.033" off the lands.Group .585" from center to center
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/t ... CF3283.jpg

.020"
off the lands. two bullets thru one hole.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/t ... CF3284.jpg

POP":1z350mux said:

+1
Reshoot the .030" load and then also try .100" off the lands and start goind away from the lands.

JD338

Back