300 gr Rem JHP vs water jugs

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Muzzle velocity of 2115 fps, fired from my 22" .45/70 Marlin. Penetration was very limited, recovered from the third jug. Expanded diameter was a pancaked .849" and the various pieces recovered add up to 152 grains.

IMG_0506.jpg

Interestingly I've spoken with people who give this bullet high marks for performance on deer and wild hogs. So, perhaps the water jugs are simply too tough for some rapid-expanding bullets. I repeated the test several times, with similar results.

Rem 300 JHP with muzzle velocity dropped to about 1750 fps, fared even worse in the jugs at 40 yards. This was all I could find:

IMG_0957.jpg

That is a bit surprising. It doesn't inspire much confidence. However, I have to bear in mind that water jugs aren't necessarily ballistic get and/or bone. Still, I'd hate to be hit by the mass at those velocities. It would leave a bruise. :shock:

Yeah, not a great looking game bullet when pushed much harder than 1500 or so it seems. I have some 300gr Speer UniCor's coming for the 45-70. Hoping to see what they do in jugs. They are supposed to be excellent, being bonded and all. The price is very reasonable on them as well. I am hoping they will make a good companion load for the 300gr PT's. I would like something less costly and less scarce than the PT's which will still hold up around 2300. Scotty

I think the Remington 300 gr JHP is a pretty soft bullet. Keep the MV around 1800-1900 fps and it will work well, but above 2000 fps its a varmint bullet.

JD338

Back