308 Subsonic load request

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
Gents,

a good friend of mine has asked me to do a little research for him on some good 308 subsonic loads to shoot thru a supressor.

Anyone have some good loads to share?

Jimbeaux

Sorry, the small amount of 7.62 subsonic ammo I've used was supplied to me... I never handloaded any.

Guy

...Hodgdon's shows a 150gr. NPT load w/ 10.0-14.0grs. of TrailBoss @1800fps...

Osprey78":g00htwhs said:
A bit of a newbie(ish) question, why would one want to load subsonic?

...well, in this case to keep the pressure down in the suppressor baffles, but they can be used for training loads w/ less recoil, home defense where you don't want over penetration, late night/ early morning pest control that doesn't wake up the neighbors...

Osprey78":2zazl2if said:

Subsonic ammo is commonly used with a suppressor to make a very, very quiet rifle. It's good to modest ranges, though bullet expansion is "iffy" (or just doesn't happen) at subsonic velocity. The .308 works real well with a good suppressor and subsonic ammo.

The reason for the subsonic, is that the suppressor works fine, even with full power ammo, but the "crack" of the bullet of standard ammo is still very obvious. Go to subsonic and get rid of that signature as well.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2u2asglo said:
Osprey78":2u2asglo said:

Subsonic ammo is commonly used with a suppressor to make a very, very quiet rifle. It's good to modest ranges, though bullet expansion is "iffy" (or just doesn't happen) at subsonic velocity. The .308 works real well with a good suppressor and subsonic ammo.

The reason for the subsonic, is that the suppressor works fine, even with full power ammo, but the "crack" of the bullet of standard ammo is still very obvious. Go to subsonic and get rid of that signature as well.

Regards, Guy

A Su... Supress...Supressor? What is this quiet implement you may place on the end of your rifle...we don't have any such privileges/rights like that north of the 49th. :roll: :lol:

Osprey78":dknq9a8n said:
Guy Miner":dknq9a8n said:
Osprey78":dknq9a8n said:

Regards, Guy

A Su... Supress...Supressor? What is this quiet implement you may place on the end of your rifle...we don't have any such privileges/rights like that north of the 49th. :roll: :lol:

...waddahell??? Da damnFinns are farther North than you guys & dey got "suppressors"...

What weight bullet are you working with? Trailboss is a great powder to make subsonic loads with, but you'll need a chronograph to dial in the exact charge. You are looking for around 1050 FPS. 10-11 grains should get you there with most 180+ grain bullets in the 308 case. Don't use any filler, it isn't necessary with Trailboss as you'll get better than 60% case fill with 10 grains.

Wincheringen,

thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for. I am open to suggestions on bullet weight and powder so 180 gr using Trailboss is a great starting point. I do have a chrono so can do exactly as you suggested, keeping the velocity around 1050 fps.

The only thing I do not quite understand, since I have never used Trailboss, is how I can get 60% case fill with 10-11 grains? It must be one "fluffy" powder.

Thanks again

Jimbeaux

It is incredibly fluffy, a can only weighs 9 ounces and it is totally full. It meters pretty well through my RCBS uniflow. You can't get enough in a case to over pressure so don't worry about that.

Depending on your altitude above sea level you might find 1,030 fps more reliable. I keep my 22 LR at 1.030 fps out of my AWC bolt gun and have never gone supersonic. If your groups show signs of tipping on the target try a flat base rather than a boat tail bullet. Or a RN if necessary. In a quick twist you can shoot a 220 or even a 240 grain HPBT. The longer bullets are more likely to pitch and yaw in a target if you intend to use it for hunting, so they might be fun to try also. Enjoy!

Back