325gr FTX (1850FPS)

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a 325gr FTX as shot out of my buddies Guide Rifle. It chronoed at 1850FPS. Very nice performance I think. Nothing wrong with them at all, if kept under 2,000.

Here is the buck he took with the same load last year. The exit hole is facing up. Scotty

KONRADSDEER.jpg

That is good expansion, and the bullet stayed together. Looks to me as though Hornady did well with this one. I hear good things about their accuracy as well.

I've witnessed some excellent accuracy with the 200 grain .358 FTX in both the .358 and the .356. I have not used the bullet to take anything from either cartridge, however. Accuracy, however, has been fairly easy to find in these cartridges.

Looks pretty good if you ask me. Looks like it worked well on that buck too.

JD338

Those Factory Horn 325 FTX loads come out of my 18.5" 95g at 1820 fps avg ! :grin: RJ

R J, about time you showed up here again :) don't be a stranger.

Late to the party on this thread but...

I have had a box of these FTXs for a couple of years but hadn't fired many at all because I hate the look of them. I call them Ronald McDonald bullets because of their big red nose.

Anyway because my stash of Sierra 300g HPs is almost out I loaded some up yesterday to shoot a few exploratory 5 shot groups along with a few other new bullets.

The below was the only group I shot with the FTX at 60 metres. 60 metres was the nearest convenient tree for me to nail the target to, as I didn't want to move the truck out of the shade and I was shooting from the tailgate as a rest.

IMG_20130504_074301.jpg

The first 4 went into that one big hole on the right. The one on the left (which was the last shot) was caused by the wind blowing the truck and me not being patient enough to wait for it to stop.

The whole group is right on an inch and the first 4 are right on half an inch. Bear in mind too that this was the second 5 shot group shot, all ten shots fired in under 4 minutes so the barrel was quite hot by the end of the group pictured above.

The load is 50g exactly of AR2207 / H4198, CCI std primer and Starline brass. The bullet is seated extra deep - below the cannelure - and crimped with the Lee FCD so it will cycle. Chronied at 2020fps ave through the 18 inch GBL barrel. Cycling was flawless and there was no movement of the bullet in the case.

So it looks like I have a going concern for a good pig / goat / deer load. They were smacking into that gum tree HARD, and this should give a +/- 3 inch PBR out to 180y.

I intend to do a 45-70 bullet wet newspaper test soon much like I did with the 270 bullets so when I do I will be sure to include the FTX.

Much as I don't like the look of them my bias has dissolved because of their performance.

- Bob

By the way re the above, if my math is right the group measures about 1.7moa total and 0.8 moa for the first four shots. I'll take it for a big bore 18" lever gun shot over the tailgate of the ute on a windy day!

Bob

Looks like your load work is done
Nice shooting

JD338

It's always gratifying when our load comes together. Fine shooting, Bob.

Great shooting Bob, kept within their speed range, they are pretty tough bullets.

I tired to post a picture of the last Whitetail 5 pt i shot with the 45-70 and Horn Factory 325 FTX ammo but could not - BUT ! i shot the deer looking straight on at 60 yards in the throat-neck and it went in to the spline and stopped there - KILLED the deer in its trackes - but the bullet shed 100 grs of weight ! I expected it to exit but it did not - i think this bullet after looking at the killing bullet are only good for lung-heart shots - i would never shoulder shot a BEAR with them or any Other Big animal - there are much better bullets to use such as the HORN 350 gr SP or others - the 250 Horn GMX-Mono Flex would give better penetration then the GMX too ! JMHO RJ

Rem Jim":oggyojvy said:
I tired to post a picture of the last Whitetail 5 pt i shot with the 45-70 and Horn Factory 325 FTX ammo but could not - BUT ! i shot the deer looking straight on at 60 yards in the throat-neck and it went in to the spline and stopped there - KILLED the deer in its trackes - but the bullet shed 100 grs of weight ! I expected it to exit but it did not - i think this bullet after looking at the killing bullet are only good for lung-heart shots - i would never shoulder shot a BEAR with them or any Other Big animal - there are much better bullets to use such as the HORN 350 gr SP or others - the 250 Horn GMX-Mono Flex would give better penetration then the GMX too ! JMHO RJ
Yes Jim I certainly expect they will be quite soft for thin skinned game mostly. They should be hell on all but the biggest pigs too.

Just as an aside my son recently reminded me that last year I was experimenting with some light loads with the 325g FTX and as part of it I shot some groups at 50y one day. When we went to inspect the target my son recovered the pictured bullet. It had impacted with - :oops: - a brick. The target was a cardboard box placed in front of a dirt bank with a couple of bricks inside to stop it blowing over in the wind.

IMG_20130512_070518.jpg

Sorry the picture is bad. The weight it retained is admirable however given it impacted a brick at probably 1500-1600fps.

No, not a real world test by any means, but 85% retained after such a heavy smack indicates at least that these things are not hand grenades.

Very nice. It is a good bullet, I think when it is kept to normal hunting ranges and within it's speed envelope, it'll do well.

I agree with Scotty.
This bullet holds together and penetrates if kept under 2000 fps.

JD338

Back