35 Whelen - 200 interlock 2650fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
This is the load I hunted with last year. It seems to work well for whitetails. I would lean towards a more solid bullet if I was hunting larger game like Elk.
2650 fps, shot at approx. 20 yards. Fully penetrated 4 jugs and dented the fifth. Weighed 139.3 after. 69.7% retained weight.

IMAG2979

IMAG2977

IMAG2980

I found this bullet last year. I shot this buck strongly quartered away. Entered behind the left shoulder and was hanging in the hair on the opposite side neck. DRT
%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

This was the exit on the second buck I shot. It was a finishing shot for a friends buck. he was laying down, but not dead when I shot him.
%255BUNSET%255D

Pretty good performance for that Hornady, I'd say. It did a good job on those bucks.

Excellent performance. I agree with you that they lack penetration on deer sized game. Very similar to the 35 Whelen 200 gr PSPCL factory load.

JD338

JD338":3esvi6lq said:
Excellent performance. I agree with you that they lack penetration on deer sized game. Very similar to the 35 Whelen 200 gr PSPCL factory load.

JD338

I was thinking they probably penetrate well enough for deer sized game but nothing bigger.. Thoughts??
I got pass thru's one the two I have used on deer, but without a lot of bone contact.
I have a half box of factory rem PSPCL's that I could have pushed into some jugs as a comparison..
Need to drink some more milk!

lanman":31awmw2s said:
JD338":31awmw2s said:

JD338

I was thinking they probably penetrate well enough for deer sized game but nothing bigger.. Thoughts??
I got pass thru's one the two I have used on deer, but without a lot of bone contact.
I have a half box of factory rem PSPCL's that I could have pushed into some jugs as a comparison..
Those are some pretty nice tests you have posted Ian 8) ..Good Deer bullet no doubt, although plenty of Elk and Moose have fallen to that bullet, I myself would go with a bonded bullet, or one such as the PT, thicker skinned and heavier big bodied animals calls for the so called "premium" and "super premium bullets"

Lou :)

lanman":gfswpoda said:
JD338":gfswpoda said:

JD338

They are great deer bullets for sure. I killed 4 WT bucks with the factory 200 gr PSPCL load back in '88-'89. I recovered 2 of the 4. Switched to the 225 gr PT in 1990 and took several WT deer and a bear with that bullet, always had a quarter sized exit hole.

JD338

I dislike the 200 grain PSP Core Lokts. While they killed two very dead deer, neither came out the other side and neither took much bone other than a rib or two. Not picky, yup, but there were/are better bullets.

I'd run that 200 grain Hornady on deer though. It looks a fair bit tougher than the PSP CL. Still not sure I wouldn't rather just use that 220 Speer and know it'll truck on through.

I'd really like to see you try the 225 PT Dan. That bullet is an absolute BOMB in the Whelen. It's taken a few deer from my 358 and it's scary how hard it hits and there is no doubt about its ability to shoot lengthwise through about any deer.

The 200 gr Interlock is an excellent bullet for deer sized game. As most of you know I'm partial to the 200 gr AccuBond and would have no problem hunting game up to moose with it. Came super close last fall but couldn't get the bull to come out of the brush enough to shoot, the 200 gr AB was locked and loaded though :)

SJB358":1qfeofqe said:
I'd really like to see you try the 225 PT Dan. .

Scotty,
I have about a full box of the interlocks yet (100). I also have nearly 2 full boxes of 200g AB's and an unopened box of 225g AB's. I'm sure the 225PT would be a great bullet but I have a lot of bullets to shoot before I swap to something new. Unless I find a smoking deal on a bunch of them..

Dan-O
aka LanMan

lanman":3i03o0do said:
SJB358":3i03o0do said:

Scotty,
I have about a full box of the interlocks yet (100). I also have nearly 2 full boxes of 200g AB's and an unopened box of 225g AB's. I'm sure the 225PT would be a great bullet but I have a lot of bullets to shoot before I swap to something new. Unless I find a smoking deal on a bunch of them..

Dan-O
aka LanMan
If you don't care for the 200gr AB's let me know and I'll take them off your hands. Been trying to find some to try.

lanman":2hkrno9f said:
SJB358":2hkrno9f said:

Scotty,

Dan-O
aka LanMan

Good point. Forgot you bought into so many of them.

SJB358":1n6lsnvh said:
I'd really like to see you try the 225 PT Dan. That bullet is an absolute BOMB in the Whelen. It's taken a few deer from my 358 and it's scary how hard it hits and there is no doubt about its ability to shoot lengthwise through about any deer.

I concur. I have taken around 15 WT with this bullet. Not a lot, but enough to have a good feeling of what it will do to a WT. I did put one lengthwise through a buck to. Plenty of penetration from any angle.

JD338

I have taken 3 bucks with the old 200gr CLSP in factory rem ammo. Two went completey through, and one broke the far shoulder blade and was resting just in side the hide. The new CLSP's are fare pointier than the hornady spire point. I have some of the new ones but their cannlered high for the 350rem so I have stayed with the spire point but in the 358win.

gerry":11cpqfox said:
Yep, bigger hollow point and more reliable expansion
How is the accuracy out the factory barrel? Since I can't find any 200 AB's I want to give these a try. And do you have a load for them gerry?

I have used them in my 358 Norma and 35 Whelen which both have custom 1 in 12 twist barrels. I have no doubt that they will stabilize nicely out of your factory 1 in 16 twist barrel though. Accuracy has ranged from good to fantastic, right now the Norma is sighted in with them and just today fired them out to 300 yards.

In the Whelen I used IMR 8208 - 56 gr - 2818 fps and also shot 57 gr which I believe was a bit over 2850 fps primer is the Rem 9 1/2 M but obviously others would work too. That powder has worked so well that I settled on using it with both the 200 gr AB and TTSX. What powders do you have on hand Rodger?

gerry, I have Varget,IMR4064, RL15,WW760, IMR4320.
I've thought about the IMR8208 but have too many different powders now that I won't use in other calibers. I would buy powder when I saw it available and probably should have waited but it won't go bad as long as it's stored properly.

You certainly have a number of good powders and will find a good load quickly I bet.

Back