35 Whelen 250g Speer Hot Core

wvchevy3

Handloader
Dec 4, 2005
250 g Speer Hot Core out of 35 Whelen,It penetrated 6 water jugs and cracked #7. 2560 FPS and was shot at 10yds. Recovered weight was 171.9 g

Attachments

• IMG_0627.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 5,036
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 5,031
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 5,031
That would perform well on any game in North America. Thanks for posting.

Lee, that 250 Hot Cor is a great one. The PT shoots identical. I would have no fear of using either. Great jug test. Scotty

Nice. I remember long ago, reading about some big name hunter taking Alaskan brown bear with the 250 gr Speer. Always thought it was likely one heck of a bullet, but I've never had a .35 cal rifle from which to shoot it!

Reminds me a bit of the 235 gr .375 bullet I tested a while back, except this one with better SD, performed even better.

Guy

I've had similar performance out of the 250gr speer in the whelen. I was loading them to just over 2400fps in my remington 750 and recovered this one from a 16" piece of driftwood, it was laying on the ground behind the log. It weighed 230gr.

250speer3.jpg

Gosh am I glad I read this post! I have had a box of these kicking around and remember reading an article some gunwriter wrote a review on them about 5 years ago. And he really trashed this bullet and claimed it would almost always come out of its jacket and basically said that you could shoot a small fox with it, but a big fox would most certainly get away..................[probably was on Hornadys payroll!] so I always was a bit iffy about loadin them in my Whelen, but after reading this instead of selling them I am going to just load some up and try them on a big moose next fall! :mrgreen:

Now you're talking! The Speer Hot Core in the medium calibre cartridges is a fearsome bullet that will work well on big game. Yeah, some fox.

35 Whelen":1bo52wnv said:
Gosh am I glad I read this post! I have had a box of these kicking around and remember reading an article some gunwriter wrote a review on them about 5 years ago. And he really trashed this bullet and claimed it would almost always come out of its jacket and basically said that you could shoot a small fox with it, but a big fox would most certainly get away..................[probably was on Hornadys payroll!] so I always was a bit iffy about loadin them in my Whelen, but after reading this instead of selling them I am going to just load some up and try them on a big moose next fall! :mrgreen:

They are great bullets by everything I can see about them. They have the same profile and BC as a 250 PT, and shoot identical in my Whelen. They are just as accurate and seeing as they hold up really well, I have no worries about using the PT or the Speer. I bought a few extra boxes of them while I was at Kittery Trading Post last year, they had them on sale for 8-9.00 a box. I took as many as I found on the shelf, just for a rainy day. 59gr's of RL15 runs them right around 2580 out of my rifle, and 60gr's is just a hair under 2650, but they shoot to the same POI as the PT's out to 300 so I can use them interchangeably. Scotty

IMHO, any cup and core bullet will work well in the 35 Whelen. You just can't push them fast enough to come apart.
Having said that, the 250 gr PT is the best bullet for hunting anything from deer to moose and African game.

JD338

Super info on here consirning this bullet. I just looked around the bench and realized I must have forgot that I already had some cause I actually found another box of them unopened so I guess I have two boxes of them plus I also found a box of Sierra BT 225s I didnt know I had OMG! Anyway I am sure I didnt get ANY of them for $9 a box!!!! Scotty that is an awesome price !!!!!!!!! I see a sticker on one box was 18 and one was 21 bucks are you sure that wasnt about 1993 when you picked them up at the KTP???????
I will see if I can find the article that guy wrote about how poor this bullet performs and repost it so you can read it as it compleatly contradicts everything that has been said and show on here so he obviously never fired one . He must do all his testing at Disney Land.........................

That's a great site Lee. I email that old feller a little. Very much the most certified 35 cal man I know.

Lee, let's hope for 225 PTs and ABs soon, along with the awesome 250's. Merry Christmas, hope your Whelens are resting a little from their hard Fall hunts! Scotty

Back