416 Rigby/Nosler

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
As promised scotty, I told you we would repot back to you guys after his hunt.

If you remember we had arranged for an older gentleman to hunt Africa with a 416 Rigby using Nosler bullets. We only gave him four animals to hunt and he was successful on all four--Buffalo, Hippo, Cape Eland, and Kudo. He elected to use the 416 on all four animals and reported back that Nosler and the Rigby performed perfectly for him. Obviously he was a little "over gunned" on the Eland, but he didnt seem to care, as he said and I quote--" I can now die a happy man "

A little side note. They hunted the hippo, on land and from what I hear that hunt turned out to be more of a adrenaline hunt than the buffalo. He also is determined to go back and hunt lion--

hunting Africa can be additive

Sounds like a great hunt! Always better to bring too much gun that not enough in my book.....

Sounds as if it was well worth the effort. Good for the older gent. Hey, there are a few of us reaching the magical status of curmudgeon. If we live long enough, we get to claim the title. :grin:

Great report Aleena. How did the Nosler's work. Other than the dead animals, anything else you can pass to us wannabes?

That's a very nice report. Hoping maybe through your friend you might be able to pass along some photo's to the rest of us sorry saps!
David

Aleena,

Thank you for the report.
Sounds like it was the trip of a life time! Congratulations you everyone on a successful safari.
Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

JD338

SJB358":1qpeiohr said:
Great report Aleena. How did the Nosler's work. Other than the dead animals, anything else you can pass to us wannabes?

Buffalo--1st shot 400 gr Partition, 2nd shot 400 gr solid
Hippo--1st, second and third shot was 400 gr solids
Eland--1st shot 400 gr Partition, 2nd shot 400 gr solids
Kudo--1st shot 400 gr Partition

It is recommended that one shoot buffalo first with an expanding bullet and then a solid. The first shot was a good broadside shot and the second was an angling away shot. Fortunately only two shots were needed.

Hippo was on land and was shot with only solids. the first shot was a good shot but he still was able to charge, second shot was rushed and was a bad shot, third shot put him down--

Eland--are not as easy to hunt as one would think. Again we recommended he use a Partition for his first shot and to follow it up with a solid. He did need both shots to seal the deal

Kudo--Turned out to be his only easy one shot kill and he used Partition.

This gentleman spent his entire life helping others. Twice he had saved enough for his long desired Africa hunt and the money found its way to what he considered a more worthy cause, than him going to Africa. We ( my husband and I ) only paid for the hunt of the four animals, his children paid the air fare, his church paid some of the costs of the rifle, scope and ammo. We have not yet heard from him directly, but from what I understand he will tell his story about the charging Hippo to strangers in the airport if he can get them to listen LOL

Scotty, some bullets were found and I was told they all performed as they were suppose to perform, but I do not have the details as to what bullets were found and which animal they found them in. If I had to guess, hippo would be one of them

Africa Huntress":29sxw2x8 said:
SJB358":29sxw2x8 said:

Buffalo--1st shot 400 gr Partition, 2nd shot 400 gr solid
Hippo--1st, second and third shot was 400 gr solids
Eland--1st shot 400 gr Partition, 2nd shot 400 gr solids
Kudo--1st shot 400 gr Partition

It is recommended that one shoot buffalo first with an expanding bullet and then a solid. The first shot was a good broadside shot and the second was an angling away shot. Fortunately only two shots were needed.

Hippo was on land and was shot with only solids. the first shot was a good shot but he still was able to charge, second shot was rushed and was a bad shot, third shot put him down--

Eland--are not as easy to hunt as one would think. Again we recommended he use a Partition for his first shot and to follow it up with a solid. He did need both shots to seal the deal

Kudo--Turned out to be his only easy one shot kill and he used Partition.

This gentleman spent his entire life helping others. Twice he had saved enough for his long desired Africa hunt and the money found its way to what he considered a more worthy cause, than him going to Africa. We ( my husband and I ) only paid for the hunt of the four animals, his children paid the air fare, his church paid some of the costs of the rifle, scope and ammo. We have not yet heard from him directly, but from what I understand he will tell his story about the charging Hippo to strangers in the airport if he can get them to listen LOL

Scotty, some bullets were found and I was told they all performed as they were suppose to perform, but I do not have the details as to what bullets were found and which animal they found them in. If I had to guess, hippo would be one of them

Good deal. Thank you Aleena. We all like to hear of successes and any failures of the bullets and pictures are excellent as well! :grin:

Sounds like it was a great hunt. I would likely be worse than that gentlemen! I would probably uttering that story in my sleep. It sounds like an excellent adventure!

That must have been quite a hunt. Congratulations to the hunter!

Thanks for sharing the info - much appreciated.

It is good to hear of others showing consideration to a generous individual. It does sound as if his loads performed very well, indeed.

DrMike":3ddykt95 said:
It is good to hear of others showing consideration to a generous individual. It does sound as if his loads performed very well, indeed.

+ 1

I didnt think about hippos being so hard to kill or dangerous. Interesting. Sounds like a great hunt, I am envious for sure!

Hippo is perhaps the most dangerous animal to encounter in Africa. They kill many people each year.

DrMike":31eljnto said:
Hippo is perhaps the most dangerous animal to encounter in Africa. They kill many people each year.

Dr. mike

Thank you sir. I had no idea. I need to add that to my list of hunts I probably will never get to do, but would certainly like to do so

Back