45-70, 350gr Kodiak, 1900fps

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Ran one into jugs today....

Here's a round with the Kodiak (right) next to a cartridge loaded with a 350FP Hornady (left).

IMG_3081_zps766626f0.jpg

Found in the 5th jug, the back of the 5th and front of the 6th were split open.

IMG_3083_zps85133b3b.jpg

IMG_3084_zpsc952b5ff.jpg

Diameter measured between 0.773 and 0.785.

Retained weight was 345.1gr.

QL estimated (couldn't run the chrono) is 1900. using 47.0gr of RL7.

Thanks, Alaska100, for sending them my way! I'm pretty impressed with this bullet!

tddeangelo":2yaoyvnx said:
Ran one into jugs today....

Here's a round with the Kodiak (right) next to a cartridge loaded with a 350FP Hornady (left).

IMG_3081_zps766626f0.jpg

Found in the 5th jug, the back of the 5th and front of the 6th were split open.

IMG_3083_zps85133b3b.jpg

IMG_3084_zpsc952b5ff.jpg

Diameter measured between 0.773 and 0.785.

Retained weight was 345.1gr.

QL estimated (couldn't run the chrono) is 1900. using 47.0gr of RL7.

Thanks, Alaska100, for sending them my way! I'm pretty impressed with this bullet!

As well you should be! It is a well-built bullet that penetrates well and kills effectively when the shooter does his/her part.

Thebear_78":2bun6rom said:
Those kodiak a are great bullets!

They seem like it. I know I will look for more in the future, that is for certain.

You can call the manufacturer direct, I'm pretty sure Thier still in Juneau. They were good people to deal with

Good performance, impressive penetration and expansion at that speed, Tom. That should kill any whitetail around?

Oldtrader3":2oz9dkdh said:
Good performance, impressive penetration and expansion at that speed, Tom. That should kill any whitetail around?

Man, you aren't kidding about that Charlie. I'd love to run one into an elk or black bear.. I'll be looking into this soon..

Well, I finally put this load into paper, and across a chrono. Predicted speeds were 1900, but the chrono gave an average for 4 shots of 1760 (spread was 1748 to 1769). Still no slouch, and with penetration into the 5th jug on the jug test, it'll do just fine.

Accuracy was awesome. It grouped consistently and threw a group right around 1" at 100 yards. Recoil on the bench was very modest for a 45-70, really not hard to shoot at all, and most shooters with a little experience would be able to shoot it just fine.

I have a few stands where this is going to be my go-to rifle, for sure. I hope to run a Kodiak through a deer and see what the carnage looks like! :twisted:

With that sort of accuracy, deer should fall quite readily to your rifle, Tom.

I think you will be pleaseantly surprised by the lack of carnage. I’m betting you get a short to nonexistant blood trail and an animal you can “eat up to the hole” on. One of the best things about the 45/70 is the lack of the side of jello normally encountered with a high velocity, rapidly expanding bullet.

Those Kodiaks are excellent bullets. I’m planning on picking some more up in the 405gr version for spring bear. Looking for a big bear.

I picked up a Box of 350 gr Kodiak 45-70 flat point bullets when i was in Alaska in 2001 - they do NOT have a cannelure -crimping groove so i have never shot any yet - i might just try taper crimping them and seeing if they hold tight or not ! or should i roll crimp them - any one know which will hold better ? Thks Cheers RJ

Not 45-70 but the bullets take a lot of slamming in my 1911's and I only tapper crimp them whether they are jacketed or lead and have never had one slip yet.

Rem Jim":1mfm71h2 said:
I picked up a Box of 350 gr Kodiak 45-70 flat point bullets when i was in Alaska in 2001 - they do NOT have a cannelure -crimping groove so i have never shot any yet - i might just try taper crimping them and seeing if they hold tight or not ! or should i roll crimp them - any one know which will hold better ? Thks Cheers RJ

Your BLR 450 Marlin should hold those nicely without crimping since it is fed from a detachable magazine plus you can move them out quickly I bet in that strong action :mrgreen:

I would use the Lee FCD on them. I believe those cartridges really do well with a good crimp on them and the Lee FCD will do it everytime without fuss.

You have to call Alaska Bullet Works (Google) them. They will take your order over the phone.

I'd stay away from Custom Brass and Bullets. I had nothing but horrible experience dealing with them. Prices run around 35-45 a box. They seem like a very good bonded bullet.

Back