45-70 brass

sako2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2019
It's new brass what's a 100 pieces worth? I'm going to a auction and there is around 500 pieces.

I see that Midsouth Shooters Supply has Starline for .70 each and Hornady is priced at $1.34 each.

They don't have any 45-70 brass in stock at the moment.

Guy

I don't have a 45-70. But you never know what life will bring. If i get it cheap enough I'll sell some of it.

Remember, if it’s Hornady factory brass it’s .060” shorter than SAMMI length in order to accommodate the FXT bullet they load. It can affect the crimp, or lack of depending on die and bullet cannelure.

Remember, if it’s Hornady factory brass it’s .060” shorter than SAMMI length in order to accommodate the FXT bullet they load. It can affect the crimp, or lack of depending on die and bullet cannelure.
I wondered about that as well. Have been working with the 45-70 some recently. These cases are both Hornady. The taller one on the left was purchased as Hornady unprimed brass and measures 2.1 inches. The shorter one on the right is from Hornady factory FTX ammo, once fired. It's right about 2.040 inches. So now... I have to be careful to keep my 45-70 brass in two separate, clearly labeled bags! Sigh... Reminds me of when small primer 45 ACP ammo & brass hit the market some years ago.
j7soAAYh.jpg

Regards, Guy

I wondered about that as well. Have been working with the 45-70 some recently. These cases are both Hornady. The taller one on the left was purchased as Hornady unprimed brass and measures 2.1 inches. The shorter one on the right is from Hornady factory FTX ammo, once fired. It's right about 2.040 inches. So now... I have to be careful to keep my 45-70 brass in two separate, clearly labeled bags! Sigh... Reminds me of when small primer 45 ACP ammo & brass hit the market some years ago.
j7soAAYh.jpg

Regards, Guy
It's not just Hornady I had some Buffalo Bore 45/70 brass that uses small rifle primers so I don't even know who makes small primer brass 45/70 casings.

It's not just Hornady I had some Buffalo Bore 45/70 brass that uses small rifle primers so I don't even know who makes small primer brass 45/70 casings.
Interesting... Do you remember which loads you got from Buffalo Bore, they've got a pretty extensive lineup of 45-70 ammo. Small rifle primers...

Guy

Interesting... Do you remember which loads you got from Buffalo Bore, they've got a pretty extensive lineup of 45-70 ammo. Small rifle primers...

Guy
I have 405 and 500 grain and they all use small rifle primers I'm guessing mag primer. The 500 grain is full metal jacket I never shot any of those yet I should try some the 405 has some good recoil behind it. I had these for awhile I wonder if the 405 is the old Remington corelock bullet.

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BB@.jpg
    BB@.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. Ya, I buy some Buffalo Bore handgun ammo time to time. I haven't tried any of their 45-70 ammo. With the power they're developing, I suspect that the small rifle primers help somehow...

I should have specified this is only to case with fired LeverEvolution brass, and not new unloaded brass. Sorry about that.

This bullet mold from Accurate has 2 crimp grooves designed into the mold, specifically so the bullets can be seated and have a crimp groove when used in the LeverEvolution brass. It maintains SAAMI overall cartridge length. The lower crimp groove also keeps powder volume from being reduced in LeverEvolution brass.
IMG_0009.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, it shoots pretty well. It throws very consistent bullets. It’s not hard to cast bullets that are within 1 grain above or below weight at 405 grains. That’s per 100 poured and sized with Gator gas checks. 1 in 20 may be off an extra grain or so. The mold is more consistent than I shoot.

Edit: I’d have to look at the mold spec sheet he sent with it, but if memory serves correct the meplat is .360”

Thank you, it shoots pretty well. It throws very consistent bullets. It’s not hard to cast bullets that are within 1 grain above or below weight at 405 grains. That’s per 100 poured and sized with Gator gas checks. 1 in 20 may be off an extra grain or so. The mold is more consistent than I shoot.

Edit: I’d have to look at the mold spec sheet he sent with it, but if memory serves correct the meplat is .360”
Do you lube the grease rings as well or run them dry?

I use White Label Carnauba Red to lube. It does a good job. No leading and accuracy doesn’t give me any headaches with it. I haven’t tried unlubed In any of my smokeless firearms.

It was starline brass and sold $300. for the whole box. I didn't buy it.

Back