7mm 120 gr BT

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
7mm 120 gr BT from a 280 AI at 3400 fps recovered in water jugs at 100 yds
7mm120grBT.jpg

JD338

Keep that up, Jim, and I may just have to try the 120 grain BT in my 280. That is a pretty good test on that bullet. Was the velocity measured at the muzzle or estimated for impact?

Very nice Jim! I have a bag of those I have been thinking of flinging out of my 7WSM! Scotty

Just shot one into some chemilac jugs. I set them up so they were facing narrow side to me, and got 1 and 1/2 jusgs )about 18" of penetration. The core seperated, and the recovered jacked weighed 51.3 grains. Muzzle velocity at the barrel was 3100, and the jugs were shot at 75 yards.

Great little deer bullet. Have taken five deer with them, and they don't go far after being hit with a 120 BT!

I would really like to load some of these up in the 7mm08 for coyotes this winter. I bet it would work really nice and shoot pretty flat without a ton of fur damage.

Shot a bear with these out of the 280 AI this weekend. I know there is better bullet/weight combos, but none the less, I was not impressed with the one I recoved. It weighed in at 31.5 grains, and didn't mushroom out at all. The lead core was gone (no real suprise), and the top half of the bullet was just gone. The recovered bullet left the muzzle at 3150, and impacted at 360 yards so it should of been well within the operating range of the BT.
SU1BRzAwMDYuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAwMDUuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAwMDQuanBn.jpg

Well, it shed not only some lead, but quite a bit of energy as it was moving through her body. What was the damage like along the path of the bullet?

It was within inches of the .338 225gr impact so it was hard to tell. Things were pretty messed up. I have no doubts that this bullet with better shot placement would have killed anything I point it at. I guess it just bugged me that it didn't look "mushroomed".

I hear you, Jake. However, I suspect that it did considerable damage to that bruin. They can be surprisingly tough critters, absorbing surprising punishment without succumbing. So long as you got penetration into the heart/lung area, death was going to occur sooner, rather than later.

Great pics Jake! Good shooting too buddy! Seems like it worked. Might be a nice to have a 120gr AB though! Scotty

nah, I got a box of 140 ETs and 160 ABs, I just don't have them loaded up for my wife yet. The 120s make a great inexpensive deer/practice bullet for her.

My wife uses these bullets in her 7mm-08 for deer. She shot her first deer this week with it and it was BANG....FLOP! Great results on a deer!

See the post from bbearhntr about the doe his wife took with the 7mm-08 and a 120 BT. Worked for her! CL

Well DUH...... OBVIOUSLY didnt read the whole thread..... :oops:

Back