7mm 150 gr ABLR

Yeah. That's great performance Jim. Very good actually. 5 jugs is elk material to me.

Nice work JD! Gotta say that I'm pretty impressed with the way this bullet performs at high and low speeds and am pretty bummed I didn't have a chance to shoot something with it this last season. I've seen some grumbling on other forums about their weight retention and performance on game and it leaves me scratching my head. Posted above are two text book mushrooms; one at 3100 FPS and the other at the lower end of the designed velocity envelope of 1700 FPS. So, it looks like we've got something that performs well at high or low speed (with an excellent BC to boot), that works on white tail and elk. Count me with Scotty, I think this bullet is a Grand Slam!
Joe

EOD Diver":2y8xqqh3 said:
I've seen some grumbling on other forums about their weight retention and performance on game and it leaves me scratching my head.

There appears to be quite a few Internet experts who pronounce on everything whether they are familiar with it or not.

DrMike":2s5sshjz said:
EOD Diver":2s5sshjz said:
I've seen some grumbling on other forums about their weight retention and performance on game and it leaves me scratching my head.

There appears to be quite a few Internet experts who pronounce on everything whether they are familiar with it or not.

Mike is spot on! The internet ninja's seem to know it all.
The ABLR sheds weight as do all lead bullets. The faster you drive them, the more weight loss.
Here is the first and second kills with the 7mm 150 gr ABLR last summer.
Mine was around 275 yds through the shoulders, killing the deer instantly.
048.jpg

My buddy Bill took #2 at close to 400 yds and again, a swift kill.
044.jpg

Mike took an elk at close range through some heavy bone and it exited. Seems to me that its a tough bullet that opens up quick, penetrates bone and exits game.

JD338

The 168 grain 7mm Rem Mag ABLR's that I got have a rated muzzle velocity of 2880. That is not all that fast but they should hit hard. I would bet that they do just fine in elk!

Very impressive Jim. As you have said the ninjas are at work all you have to read is the reviews of the product at cabelas. Makes me laugh. These perform just as designed proven at 1700 I'd like to see expansion at 1300 to see if they hold true to the claim. I'm betting they will. At 1700 at 1000 yards that's a really tough shot anyone taking that better have lots of time behind the trigger and the right gear.

Sako 85":2dbp0p8p said:
Impressive Jim!..After this season, I'm gonna start rolling my own too buddy, It's about time I would have to say :shock: :wink: ..Lou

I agree! :p

FOTIS":1183oklc said:
Sako 85":1183oklc said:
Impressive Jim!..After this season, I'm gonna start rolling my own too buddy, It's about time I would have to say :shock: :wink: ..Lou

Yes brother Fotis :grin: ..I betcha I spent well over $1000 in 2013 alone on .375 H&H ammo :shock: ..when they say it hurts on both ends, heck the're not kidding! :wink:

When I start out, atleast I know there's plenty of good help and knowledge right on this great forum :grin:
Lou

Sako 85":33956dzl said:
FOTIS":33956dzl said:
Sako 85":33956dzl said:

Yes brother Fotis :grin: ..I betcha I spent well over $1000 in 2013 alone on .375 H&H ammo :shock: ..when they say it hurts on both ends, heck the're not kidding! :wink:

When I start out, atleast I know there's plenty of good help and knowledge right on this great forum :grin:
Lou
Lou,

All the more reason to start hand loading.
You will spend the same amount but you will shoot a lot more rounds. :)

JD338

Yeah, shooting them H&H and 7mm Rem Mag factory loaded premiums is pricey, but oh man, stand by for the price of loading your own when you get the bug!

Sako 85":2p6lggii said:
I betcha I spent well over $1000 in 2013 alone on .375 H&H ammo :shock: ..when they say it hurts on both ends, heck the're not kidding! :wink:

You just didn't know that they end they were talking about was your hip pocket where the wallet resides. :grin:

I simulated a long rang expansion/penetration test with the 7mm 150 gr ABLR using a reduced load with IMR4895 which generated a MV of 2611 fps. My 280AI is pushing this bullet at 3100 fps so the lower speed
impact velocity of 2580 fps would be equivalent to 400 yds. The bullet was recovered in the 5th jug at 40 yds.
DSCN06511.jpg

Retained weight is 77.0 grs and expansion is .551".

JD338

Nice test JD also have ya heard anything as far as 338 ABLR's I know I saw a video which was kinda old and was wondering if they have decided on a weight for them yet ?

HOGWILD338-378":1mhaba2m said:
Nice test JD also have ya heard anything as far as 338 ABLR's I know I saw a video which was kinda old and was wondering if they have decided on a weight for them yet ?
Terry,

I have been pushing them for a 338 cal 250 gr ABLR. With a BC of .7, it would be an awesome long range hammer.

JD338

My 338-378 would probably enjoy those I am sure ! as it's at the Smith's getting some love on it this PM :mrgreen: S&B and Near love being applied!

Very nice Jim. That bullet looks real good and seems to be in the performance envelope at the lower speeds which it is meant for.

LRAB Looks like a great bullet design. I have the 168's coming my way. Will need to try them in my 7-MM Rem. Mag.
Take care

Back