Alliant Powder Availability

Not good. That info about nitrocellulose has been in the industry circle for some time now. Local game stores were saying a couple months back that this was the chatter coming down the line from their suppliers. Guess it wasn't all talk.

One thing about Democrats especially in the modern era, is they make it easy to see way in advance what's coming. Might not know exactly what it will look like, but none of it good and easy to see. No scrambling happening on my end.

"Global Nitrocellulose Market Size is Estimated to Reach USD 1.39 billion by 2030, Growing at a CAGR of 5.5%: Straits Research"

Doubt a shortage is some conspiracy hatched by US politicians. For example, they use it to coat nails!

Last edited:
One of the reasons I shoot less nowadays, until this s*** is back to normal like prices and availability that we used to have which I doubt will happen.

"Global Nitrocellulose Market Size is Estimated to Reach USD 1.39 billion by 2030, Growing at a CAGR of 5.5%: Straits Research"

Doubt a shortage is some conspiracy hatched by US politicians. For example, they use it to coat nails!
Thanks for the article, I was surprised to read that the electric vehicle market impacted it.

One of the reasons I shoot less nowadays, until this s*** is back to normal like prices and availability that we used to have which I doubt will happen.
The question is going to be what is back to normal prices. I can no longer see stuff like primers getting under $50 a brick ever again. Powders also will seem to be expensive but there seems to be some good deals lately on reloading bullets.

Here in Australia we pretty much have zero pistol powder. I'm not aware of any new powder for pistols in the last couple of years.....hmm maybe drips and drabs of some of the Vihtavuori stuff but buggar all. 90+% of pistol shooters are simply shooting factory these days. Rifle powder is not bad depending on where you live. Thankfully I'm good for powder and primers for a couple of decades. I started incrementally accumulating about 15 years ago

I never thought I would see the day Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays and all the other powders used in Shotgun target shells for Trap and Skeet and Sporting Clays Would not be available. Where you never consider buy it unless it’s 8lb at a time or more as when one sits down to reload you load by the 5 gallon pale. My last components buy I paid less than $ 140 for 8lb Green Dot and same for e3, Primers Win 209 $ 128.
I have noticed People not shooting and quitting all together. Yes this Powder shortage sucks as does Primer’s !

Not too long ago, when powder was almost all unavailable, the local place got in IMR Green. No one bought it so I got a lb for $14. Should have bought more.

I really like it for cast all the way up to 375 ruger. Hodgdon discontinued it because it wouldn't sell. I bet it would sell now if Alliant isn't able to make Green Dot etc.

I have enough for hunting for me and my kids for a few years. I stop shooting other than 22LR. I tell my friends, I will provide the firearms and loaction to shoot if the bring their ammo.
Not me. I'm not going to shoot it all up because that would be both wasteful and dumb, but I got enough to keep shooting reasonable and have plenty to last so I am when I want to, or have something I feel I ought to work on.

Don't want to waste it, but I'm gonna use enough of it to stay on top of things.

Reckon a couple of major conflicts probably not helping the supply either. Staggering the amount of artillery and other cartridges they’re chewing through
Yep. And where did that come from? The U.S. advertised on a giant billboard in full display for the world to see it's weakness, ineptness, fecklessness, and inability to cope in any meaningful way under the current leadership, when we withdrew in the manner we did from Afghanistan. That set everything else in motion for those with nefarious plans who were watching.

Same could be said for the 200,000 plus a month pouring across our borders, or watching the Chinese spy balloon navigate all the way across the U.S. without doing anything, or putting a obvious mental health problems cross dressing kleptomaniac in the office of nuclear energy, the list could go on for pages.

Why I said earlier the current Democrats make it easy to see way in advance what's coming and none of it good. I'm not scrambling for supplies.

Back