Anyone have any experience loading for 256 Newton?

Naw, SJB358, you know it's just a flash in the pan. Like that youngster the 30 Win

Bbear":1m5p0zpr said:
Naw, SJB358, you know it's just a flash in the pan. Like that youngster the 30 Win

Yeah, I’m sure it’ll pass and people will get back to their 257’s and 270’s :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with that result. Congratulations. That load will do. (y)

Well, took 10 rounds out to run through my Magnetospeed and had MV running from 2981 down to 2851. I'd also loaded 8 rounds and put them in the freezer overnight to see what changes. Oddly enough, taking them one at a time out of an ice chest and shooting over the MS, the velocity dropped down to range from 2913 down to 2880.
Thinking these 'new-fangled' long bullets aren't to the liking of the Metford-style twist for one thing and this powder/bullet combo isn't to the liking of the rifle.
Off to SPS for some 125 partitions I guess.

None of them grouped well but then again, it's a fairly thin barrel and it had the MS hanging off of it.
I'm thinking maybe part of the problem is a few of the brass I was using was only 1x fired while most was 3x fired.
I'll try again with just 3x fired stuff and see.

Not worth a crap. Group was scattered over a 6" 'group'. Will try again with the 125 NP and see if I can get anything worth the effort with IMR4350

Also thinking of trying the 125 NP with RL 23 and see how that might work.

I finally broke out the borescope. Never should have done that. This old rifle had been put up wet too many times, I'm guessing. It is pitted and spot-pits the entire length of the barrel. I'm guessing my groups will have to be in the 3" range @ 100 and call it good. That's if I can get it to group that well.

Bbear":3mufz15b said:
Not worth a crap. Group was scattered over a 6" 'group'. Will try again with the 125 NP and see if I can get anything worth the effort with IMR4350

Also thinking of trying the 125 NP with RL 23 and see how that might work.

I finally broke out the borescope. Never should have done that. This old rifle had been put up wet too many times, I'm guessing. It is pitted and spot-pits the entire length of the barrel. I'm guessing my groups will have to be in the 3" range @ 100 and call it good. That's if I can get it to group that well.

Try a few fire lapping Bullets bear. Might just save it.

Took the teslong borescope out. Here are just a few pics.
k5bN7Fh.jpg

Firecracking about an inch in the bore.

And have this for most of the length of the bore.

eVicQy2.jpg

And near the muzzle:

eVicQy2.jpg

The lapping bullets might help enough to keep the groups down some. Cheaper than a new barrel.

Nothing to lose in my book. The bore looks like hell but you never know what a 1/2 dose of Tubbs final finish may do to help it. For under 50 bucks and a little time it won’t hurt it.

Plus, I just wanna see that old devil shoot. Saw an original 35 Newton in the Cody Museum. Talk about wanting to commit theft. It was a gem.

Back