Barnes TSX 160gr FB from 7 Rem Mag**PIC is UP**

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
I will get a picture up as soon as I can.

This was shot out of a 7 Rem Mag using factory Federal Premium ammo. My friend's son drew a youth tag and missed a buck with his 270, so he had to use dad's 7 mag that has counted for numerous deer and elk.

The shot was 416 yard, slightly down hill and quartering to. He was using a fieldpod that has a bit more stability than shooting sticks or a bipod, and he has practiced shots past 400yds on gongs. He put the BDC of the Nikon Monarch 4-12, second circle down, and pulled the trigger. There was no doubt the buck was hit and hit well. The 4x staggerd a bit and then did the backwards flop.

The entrance was low, just up from the armpit, with the exit low just behind the liver. There wasn't much of a blood trai, not needed, for we saw the buck drop and was right there. The necropsy revealed the bullet hit the back of the heart, lung, liver and some of the paunch. The ribcage was full of blood. This did not "pencil through" and showed great trauma to the vitals. We were impressed to say the least. A 13-year-old making a one-shot kill on a nice buck at 416 yards, love it! His grandpa has several one-shot kills using the 130gr TSX in a T-3 270 Win. I guess it runs in the family.

I actually found the bullet in the dirt, after a little digging with some rocks. It is not distorted in any way, just a text book shank with 4 petals peeled back, exactly like in the video and other advertisements. I have not chonographed his factory loads, but if they are in the 2900-3000fps range, then impact velocity is in the 2000-2100fps range, given the published .392 BC.

I do like the "monolithic" bullets and will continue to persue them in other loads.

I'm looking forward to the pictures. I also like the monolithic bullets. Both the TSX and the E-Tip has served me well with multiple heads of game. Congratulations to the young man for a well-executed shot.

Congratulations to the young hunter, he did great.
Looking forward to seeing the bullet.

JD338

Here is one picture. I don't have the patients to load the others. For some reason between my email, phone, computer and photobucket, somebody doesn't like what I have to say.

[url=http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/Goose2044/media/160gr%20Barnes%20TSX/160grBarnesTSXProfile_zpsd0e852b3.png.html]
[img]http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/Goose2044/160gr%20Barnes%20TSX/160grBarnesTSXProfile_zpsd0e852b3.png

Well done by the young hunter! No doubt he will remember it for yearstocome.

I have often found the 160 gr bullet to perform well on large game from the 7MM Rem Mag.

Back