Cheap .30cal Heavyweights

I guy at work bought a bunch of these for subsonic 300BO. I ordered some this morning because it’s hard finding reasonable priced components. $54 tyd for 250 bullets , I’m in.
Thanks for the heads up I think, I bought 5 of them. Not sure I really needed them but it is a great deal. I now can start a war I may have more .308 projectiles than some small countries after all the Norma Tipstrike bullets I bought from the Raven Rock website this past month.

I guy at work bought a bunch of these for subsonic 300BO. I ordered some this morning because it’s hard finding reasonable priced components. $54 tyd for 250 bullets , I’m in.
It looks like the good old 220 RNSP Hornady that's long been used in the 30-06 and 300 magnums. I wonder if the 30-30 or the 300 BO produce enough velocity for it to open up on game?

It's a fine bullet for the 30-06 and 300 magnums for sure.

Guy

It looks like the good old 220 RNSP Hornady that's long been used in the 30-06 and 300 magnums. I wonder if the 30-30 or the 300 BO produce enough velocity for it to open up on game?

It's a fine bullet for the 30-06 and 300 magnums for sure.

Guy
I looked at the bullets rated Mv is 1600-3100.

So next I looked for 300BO recipes for that bullet… and they don’t have them. Instead they had 2 225 grain bullets - both target bullets…

Does that imply the 220 gn RN. #3090 rated Mv 1600-3100 and the only Hornady 308 rated for Dangerous Game….might not feed up the ramp on the AR platform?

I’ve loaded the SPH in 220 on a 300WSM for my son’s bear hunt. Worked great!

Doing a little online research shows a lot of people doing sub sonic 300BO with this bullet. I can’t imagine a whole lot of expansion at those speeds , just a big heavy torpedo.

My order came in today, the Hornady round nose bullets come in a small box 250 count so no Hornady Box they must of gotten a bulk loose bullet deal and package themselves into 250 count.

The Sig Sauer factory second brass looks like regular brass to me. I would have to take measurements and weigh them to maybe see why they are considered seconds but don't have any regular Sig brass to compare to otherwise at $6.6 cents per case for new was hard to beat that is used clean brass prices and you get mixed manufacturing instead of one manufacturer .

I received mine also. The bullets I got do have light pull marks. Doesn’t matter at the price I paid.
View attachment 22544View attachment 22545
You are right I just looked at one close under light and can see some very small indentations plus the bullet that was below the case has the markings. So they were pulled not new, explains the bulk package but no big deal these are 220 grain bullets not a lightweight match bullet you are trying to shoot at 500 plus yards it won't matter one bit and one of the cheapest hunting bullet you can find for that weight class.

You might find some errors in American Reloading's comments below the product they list.These 220gr bullets say great for 30-30.Probably should have been 30-06 instead.When was the last time you heard of 220gr 30-30's?30-06,but not 30-30 right?I saw about the same thing on their comments.Saw this in the comments below their MP 625 Powder(Similar to Hunter).Who shoots a 140gr bullet in a 243 Winchester? 7-08 maybe? They do have great product at great prices but I'd take the products for what they are and be cautious about their comments.
243 Win Reference Data

Case – Sellier & Bellot

Projectile – 140gr Sierra MatchKing

Charge – 44gr

Velocity – 2710 f/s

n one of my gun show forays I snagged six boxes of 220 gr. Sierra 220 gr, Round Nose. IIRC, they were $15.00 a per sealed boxes of 100 bullets. The shoot pretty good from a Remington M700 Classic and a couple of FN Mausers I have,
Paul B.

That's a good buy on those bullets!
I've gotten some things off of them. If you watch you can get some really good deals.

I've seen advertised "sub" bullets for 26 and 27cal...........don't remember the weight or where it was from, but subs in those calibers...........i just had to laugh

If you want another deal Raven Rocks has the Tipstrikes on sale this week .308 diameter only for $19.95. So a 170 grain bullet like a Ballistic tip for under $.20 a bullet. Even if you only want to target shoot with them at certain ranges they shoot great because it has a flat base don't try 1000 competition shots they have worked well for me on deer and would likely do some hog damage as well.

I just looked at Norma website they are pretty much completely out of stock of components. I think RR must of bought up all their stock and now is selling a cheap prices since he has a large stock of certain components. Looks like he has over 700 boxes of the .308 Tipstrikes and is wanting to move the inventory.

Last edited:
Back