Don't think I paid too much.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't know. Sometimes hard to put an exact dollar figure on a Mauser, but quality guns are always worth money. Picked up a custom 98 Mauser in 257 Roberts Ackley. Nice rifle that somebody did right. Hinged floorplate, crisp aftermarket trigger, the works. Got the rifle, set of RCBS dies and a box of nosler brass, half of which are loaded with 100 gr Nosler Partitions for $540.

Hard to pick it all up in crap lighting, but the stock is nicely figured throughout.

They done a nice job on the bolt handle, not a long sweeping gangly bolt like is on some, or a heavy club. Tight and neat.

Both the rosewood grip cap and end cap have figure in them as well.

Left and right side of the rifle trying to show some more of the figure. Didn't take it out of the stock yet, don't know if it's bedded or not. If it shoots I'll be a happy camper.

Looks like a bargain to me!
Keep us posted how it shoots.
Being a lefty safed me a lot of money on Mausers...

Though the weaver bases are a bit of a break in style.
But hey - form follows function

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I would say you did darned good!

I bet that proves to be a real sweetheart of a rifle! Great snag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice looking. I would have someone checker the stock for me. The stock looks like it was made by Bishop stocks and is a classic.
The use of Weaver bases probably dates it to a 1960's early 1970's build.

I'll know fairly quickly how it shoots. After I bought the rifle the guy convinced me to buy some loaded fire formed ammo in that rifle, at a good price. For $35 I got 50 loaded rounds. 30 are with 117 gr Sierra's and 37 gr IMR 4064, and 20 are 87 gr Hornady's with 46 gr's IMR 4350. Neither seems optimum powder/load combo's to me, but if they shoot I'll use them as is. Particularly the Sierra's for deer.

The 100 gr Nosler Partitions that came with the rifle I'm going to pull. I can tell those Nosler cases are not fire formed yet. No sense wasting premium bullets fire forming cases. I got a boat load of 87 gr Speer HC's that I can load up jammed into the lands, with a starting load of a faster powder like H4895 to form those cases.

Those old style Weaver bases are $4 a pack of 2 here at a local gun shop. So wont break my wallet to pull them off and put something else on. Perhaps the one piece windage adjusting base? Although once the rings are on a person doesn't notice the bases. Least I don't.

I'd say you managed to score a bargain. Beautiful work on the stock, though the craftsmanship on the rifle itself is quite attractive. Yeah, you did well.

I would say you got a great deal!

That’s really beautiful wood on your rifle.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST,

Congratulations on a nice ride. The 257 AI is a pretty cool round. It should make for a nice WT round or that trip out west for mule deer and antelope. The 115 gr BT will make for a great all around bullet.

JD338

Thanks fella's. Took one pic in natural light. You never know, but I don't see why I wouldn't like the rifle......seems to be well put together all the way around.

I'm probably gonna pull all the bullets I bought and load my own recipe's for those bullets for 2 reasons. A. They are old reloads, so some might be tight in the neck, others free. B. The older gent I got it from seemed like a fuss button, but I don't think he was particularly extra knowledgeable about reloading. I checked the lengths on the loaded bullets and he has them all loaded around book load length.....2.775-2.780. I will have to check when I pull them, but they are probably a mile off the lands.

The beauty of a cartridge like this in an intermediate length action like a Mauser, is that it is no longer confined to short action lengths. Unless it is short throated for some reason I'd have no plans to load most bullets at book length.

Wow that's nice! That will be a neat cartridge to play with and hunt with. Can't wait to see how it performs. Is the barrel 24"? I cannot imagine why it would not like the 110 gr. Nosler Accubonds. That sure would be a super bullet for coyotes, deer, antelope, and even elk. Send some group pics as soon as you get it scoped and shoot it some.

David

David, the barrel is an oddball length of 23". Maybe that will prove to be a good length for both handiness and minimal velocity loss, don't know.

I don't really have anything optimal in the way of 25 cal bullets to load for it right now. I got 500 plus of the Speer 87 gr HC's, so I loaded some of them up with H4895. One at 38.5, one at 39.5, and five at 40.5 which is 1.5 gr's below max for a 87 gr bullet.

Just done that because I'm anxious to shoot it. If it will shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5" with a throwed together load with light bullets, it should get to MOA or under with a tuned load with heavier bullets. My theory anyways. :lol:

Great looking rifle, shooter's pro shop has some 115 and 120 blem partitions that could make an excellent round for you

Curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the stock. Somebody done the work for me. Bedded front to rear. Barrel channel is bedded all the way to the end, not the way I would've necessarily done it, but if it shoots, what do I know? Seals it off that's for sure.

3 holes in the bedding forwards of the recoil lug....either air pockets or maybe it was a few spots without enough release agent on it.

Tang is lightly bedded.

Even bedded the bottom metal front and rear. Some of the bedding squeezed out along the sides of the mag well area and it makes the magazine tight in the stock on the sides. I'll sandpaper that off to free up the magazine. I don't like them tight.

Trigger is a Mashburn Arms Co. Don't know anything about them. Solidly built and snaps off clean that's all I know.

That looks like a really nice rifle! They say the best way to double your money on a rifle, particularly a custom one, is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.... :( :lol:. You couldn't have some one build you anything that nice today for twice the money. That looks like a Bold Trigger. Nothing wrong with that.... That stock is just super nice. How would you find anything that cool today? Its got a trigger, a wing safety and probably a fairly new barrel. (257 AI would be an odd prarie dog gun...) What does a model 70 really have that you dont? A little load development and you might have a REAL shooter. For sure it will be fun, and hits way harder than it looks. A 257 AI has a very loyal following for very good reason, so I am told by a former board member. (Anybody hear from Joel.... AKA 257 Ackley?) Rifles like that are works of art, (ok so I'm biased). Some one needs to preserve them! Let us know how she shoots. CL

Incidentally I have seen bedding and front swivel attachment look suspiciously similar. You don't suppose some one did several? Ive heard of custom gun makers doing that.

Sheez- Shade- I just realized it was YOUR post. :shock: :lol: I swear, the coolest stuff follows you home!! Another nice one. CL

Back