I MUDDIED THE DRINKING WATER

Excellent reminder, Mike; applicable in so many areas of life. Miscalculations can be disastrous at -25 C or at +40 C. More than one sincere outdoorsman/outdoorswoman has paid dearly for miscalculating and risking everything.

DrMike":fj0luyea said:
Excellent reminder, Mike; applicable in so many areas of life. Miscalculations can be disastrous at -25 C or at +40 C. More than one sincere outdoorsman/outdoorswoman has paid dearly for miscalculating and risking everything.

Yes indeed Mike, some have paid dearly and I am glad I was not one of those. Even after all the years I have hunted, I still made those mistakes that day. I broke my main rule "Think about where you are, what you are going to do and take your time doing and don't rush."

In our AO, to forget that grizzlies live here is to invite an uninvited hunter into your party.

Mike
Excellent article and excellent reminder. Whether we are hunting, fishing or hiking in the outdoors, we can't let our guard down. I learned the hard way like you, that when I leave the truck the daypack goes with me. Every day, every time.

Mike,

You got lucky, or blessed, in that you made it back in one piece and wiser for the experience.

The deserts of Arizona are filled with less fortunate individuals due to self deceit. I've done what you've done too and lived to tell the tale. I've also seen the remains, of which the Arizona desert is full of, those who perished. It's not a sight one ever wishes to see.

Part of the reason I am drawn to this rough country is that it fosters a sense of rugged individualism but it's toll is in blood and death.

Vince

Mike,
Close one buddy. At least you lived to learn not to make that mistake again.
Russ

Good article Mike.

I'm sure many of us have lived through potentially life-threatening situations we've put ourselves in... Be careful out there in the great outdoors guys.

A buddy of mine asked me once, what my son and I carried in those packs that we always had with us while deer hunting...

It was just a matter of our different perspectives. He always hunted his own or a neighboring wheat farm, and was seldom more than a mile from his pickup & cooler full of food & drink.

We often hunt the mountains & canyons and are usually several miles from the vehicle. My son and I tend to over-pack a bit, but we're ready for the mountain weather which can change very quickly. I figure if I must, I can handle a night out here in the Cascades, with what's in my standard hunting pack. It's not much weight & bulk to tote, considering the safety factor.

Regards, Guy

Russ, Vince, Guy, great comments and appreciate you post. Yes, wise choices in what you carry and keep on you and also where you go and do not go. Thanks

Mike
Excellent article. We think we're invincible but we are not! Good reminder!

Great article Mike. Been there and done that a time or three. Worst one was my first hunt in the Superstition Mountain wilderness area. Was lucky enough to find water though but ended up with a first class case of Giardia. Them invisible critters will get you every time. That was one heck of a long time ago, about 33 or 34 years or so. Deer season that year was quite hot as I recall with temps in the upper 70's to low 80's.
Anyway, glad you made it out in one piece.
Paul B.

Mike,
This reminded me of what my hunting buddy who is 85 or 86 told me. He has his own cessna and flew f-86's in the Korean War. "You have old pilots and bold pilots, but no old/bold pilots. I guess it goes for many other things also.
Russ

A little story: Young guy who drank hard liquor drew a bighorn tag. I was in camp acting as a spotter. I would go out and find sheep for the guy to stalk the next day. Free by the way, or I should say free to tag holder, If I remember correct the 6 days cost me about $600. Anyway, On day 6 of the hunt after 5 100 plus degree days. The plan was I would spot until noon, then I had to head out. Tag holder crossed the canyon and was stalking in on a nice ram I spotted. Radio contacted him and said DO NOT SKYLINE YOURSELF crossing the last ridge. He did. At this point I asked him how much water do you have left. He said about half. I suggested he look over the next ridge, If he did not spot the sheep. Drop down from the point he was and there was a relative easy crossing with some sheep in it. He probably had 1/2 gallon or less of water. I suspect some vodka. His dad was in camp drinking and could hear the conversation on the radio. I had to leave so went back to camp, Explained the situation to his dad. Told him where to go set in the truck and wait for his son to cross back over. The tag holder did not follow my advise, He kept going miles down the canyon in the heat of the day, well over 100deg. Out hiked his water by 2:00 PM I heard later. He hiked looking for sheep until evening in that heat and became delusional, disoriented. He finally crawled down into the canyon after dark, crossed the river. Without drinking any. Crawled up the canyon side a ways and spent the night. His dad never tried to find him until the next morning. Seems he finally made it out mid morning. I should have not left, But thought what I told them both had sunk in. If this guy had been older he may have been smarter Or dead. Moral to the story: If you draw a once in a life time tag, Leave the Vodka at home. Or someone might find your bones.

Thanks Mike for the reminder, so many of us underestimate what the heat or cold can do to us. We can all learn for your experience thanks.

Blessings,
Dan

Wow, glad you made it ok. I know even with Michigan hunting, things can happen and so I carry extra items in my daypack for such situations. But, I have to admit I never think of bringing water with me. Always leave a bottle in the truck. After all it is Michigan and I'm rarely more than 1/2 mile from my truck.....time to change my ways.

Thanks for the reminder.

Long

Back