It is finally done.

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Well, I first started toying with the idea of a monster .25 or . 264 LR gun about 4 years ago and it's took that long to get it done. This is the pic I got from the smith after he shipped it, it'll be here in 2 weeks. It's a 6.5 RUM with a slow 12 twist. Depending on how much speed it can hit it should handle 120 & 130 grain bullets for sure, maybe 140's. It won't hit pressure for being to fast of a twist anyway.

65ultra.jpg

My personal Battery has shrunk down to 5 centerfire rifles. Running a Rem 700 in 223 AI, a Rem 700 in 22-250AI, a Vanguard 257 wby and a battered Sako AV 7 rem besides this foolish wildcat. THe only other two residents in the vault are a Model 60 Marlin that has seen alot of country and a T/C Hawkin in 54 cal.

Everything else I sold off, due to building cost overruns on our house and a banker trimming my builders mortgage when I became self employed. Not a bad trade off really, I suppose. I can buy a couple more when I have the cash to spare, but these are plenty for my own needs now.
Honestly, this one almost got parted out, it sat for almost a year before I sent it to get assembled.

God Bless and Happy New Year to you all. Hopefully, this years brings some good change for a change.

jtoews80

Welcome back buddy.

Very nice rig. Looking forward to the range report.

JD338

Hope everything turns around for the best. That should be a fun weapon, can't wait for some reports on load developments.

Blessings,
Dan

A 6.5 RUM, wow, please keep us up to date on how it works out for you.

Leupold Mark 4 4-14X50 LR/T with TMR & M1's. Little smaller magnification than I'd like, but lots of adjustment and that is a 20moa rail.

Very nice rig! That thing should SCREAM!! Wow- nothing is safe in Canada from that rifle.. Not in your zip code at least!

OK, put 15 rounds through it today. started way low and got 2900 FPS with 140 smk's, 6" groups. Worked up and gun juiced the first 10 rounds. No stability and started showing flatter primers at 3100 FPS, at which point the gun juice was finished and I ran a boresnake and cleaned it normally between rounds. The pressure signs were gone and next 3 loads came in 3165, no read and 3170. The no read seemed a little slower and took off to open the group up to 2.5" and the other two cut a hole that measured .357" edge to edge. I am pretty sure this is were very close to the point were the bullets stabilize in this twist. I went up 1 round at a time for two and ran out of time to play. Last load ran 3316FPS and still didn't really show any movement on the primer. That was running WC 860, no comment on the charge except there was more case volume to use.(probably not a good idea)

Does anybody know if that bullet is goin to take off when the velocity drops below 3165fps down range since that is where it stabilizes for muzzle velocity? I'll know when I walk her out a ways anyway, just curious.

JT.

Back