Kimber Hunter trigger pull adjustment and shooting technique help

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
I am having a hard time shooting consistently with a Kimber Hunter in 308. I really like the carry weight and size for hunting as we hunt steep with lots of downfall and reprod. and some overnight trips. The trigger pull is heavier than my other rifles. Sometimes dry firing I can see myself pull off the target.

Questions-

Is it a matter of just adjusting the trigger weight screw on this rifle?
Any alternative to using a trigger pull scale?

Got tips on shooting off the bench with a light gun?
Seems like holding it firmly on the forearm is helping a bit.

Trigger Teck makes an aftermarket drop in trigger for your rifle. They are designed to be tinkered with and are fully adjustable from about 2.5 to 5 pounds. I generally avoid tinkering with factory triggers as they are designed lawyer proof and I’ve seen too many examples of alterations creating dangerous guns. trigger tech triggers wont let you screw things up, I have three and love them. Somewhere between 100.00 and 130.00 bucks to your door.

Generally speaking the least amount of holding the rifle, while shooting from the bench, the more consistent your results. I don’t even wrap my thumb over the stock With my 375 HH. If you’re having to hold onto the rifle because the trigger pull is so great, throw that trigger away. If you can change your oil and replace a headlight on a modern vehicle you can install a trigger tech.

I would look at replacing the trigger and as mentioned, Trigger Tech is very nice and tough to beat.
As for shooting off the bench....
When you get the reticle aligned with your target, close your eyes for a few seconds and relax. Open your eyes and note where the cross hair is. That is where you would have sent the bullet. Readjust and repeat until the cross hair is exactly where you want it. That will tighten up your groups.
Also wear plugs and muffs and let the barrel cool off, action open, for a few minutes between shots.

JD338

I would look at replacing the trigger and as mentioned, Trigger Tech is very nice and tough to beat.
As for shooting off the bench....
When you get the reticle aligned with your target, close your eyes for a few seconds and relax. Open your eyes and note where the cross hair is. That is where you would have sent the bullet. Readjust and repeat until the cross hair is exactly where you want it. That will tighten up your groups.
Also wear plugs and muffs and let the barrel cool off, action open, for a few minutes between shots.

JD338
All solid recommendations for anyone who wants to tighten their groups. (y)

"Generally speaking the least amount of holding the rifle, while shooting from the bench, the more consistent your results. "
That works with my other rifles, not so much with this 5 lb one.

I will look into the other triggers. And try the closed eyes practice too.

The Kimber was supposed to be an easy one to adjust, so thought I would ask around to see others experiences.

If a firm hold seems to help, try a sled, if you have one. Even a couple of sandbags might work. I was having issues with one rifle and ended up putting it in a (Bog, I want to say) deathgrip tripod. That seemed to work very well for me. Also proved I needed more dry fire practice.

If you're not familiar with tuning your rifle's trigger and aren't replacing it with an aftermarket one, get a gunsmith to fine tune it so that it stays safe. For a hunting trigger, three pounds of pull is good, so you can still feel it with light gloves off when hunting in cooler weather. In some rifles, the factory trigger is not adjustable lower than this, or may not be safe at a lighter pull weight.
Some like their triggers lighter, but most of these do not wear gloves when shooting in warmer climates/seasons, so can still feel their trigger. (If safe to do so)

There's a KimberTalk forum with instructions:

I have almost all of my plethora of rifles at 2# pull weight. That includes any used in the winter, and generally if I'm shooting my finger is out of a glove. There are a few that can't be swapped, modified or adjusted to 2, but they're no more than 3#. i adjust each so that they are as close to 2# as possible, as I want every rifle to feel the same when I'm using it.
Weatherby, for example, provides new Mark V's with TriggerTech triggers that won't go below 2.5 pounds. I remove them and install the one TriggerTech actually sells that goes down to 2#. And yes, I can tell the difference. I have not figured out how to easily modify a TriggerTech factory trigger to go below 2.5#, and calling the factory to discuss it was useless.

You really need a trigger pull scale if you're going to adjust a trigger. I have been using my Lyman for years.

Back