Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8 adjustments

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Hi.

I got this scope, Leupold Vari-X III, 2.5-8x

I’ve never seen an adjustment like this. No MOA or MILRADs, just numbers..

When I adjusted it, I felt no clicks..

Can anyone tell me what these markings are referring too?

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 13
I would say you have 15” of vertical adjustment per revolution with dash on the coin adjuster to keep track where you are. My Dad’s old Redfield was the same way , just turn with no clicks.

Really old scope - and those friction-adjust Leupold scopes tend to do a great job of holding their zero. I've still got a couple of 'em. One is a 2.5x that I've used on heavy-loaded 45-70 Marlin rifles with absolutely no problem holding zero.

Guy

As stated above, this is the friction adjustment on the older Vari X scopes, and yes, the numbers were more for reference than moa type adjustments. Close, but not exact.
Trial and error and shooting verified the adjustment of the scope.
And as stated, they held zero very well.
Not every shooter used to worry about tracking and returning to zero, but some did. They would zero for a certain yardage, then shoot a box pattern; adjust so far right, shoot, then up, shoot, then left, shoot, then down, shoot, and then back to the starting point and shoot to see if the shot landed in the same spot as the original shot...not just up, and then back to zero, as mostly seen today.
Others zeroed their scopes and never worried about it, other than a quick trip to the range to verify their zero was still on with 1 to 3 shots at their zero distance. A fellow showed up at the range today, smacked the smaller 200 yard gong 3 times with his lever action 45-70 and left happy. Minute of bear accuracy for the shooter!
The newer scope came with clicks, and then with finger adjustment, as advancements in the models were introduced.
Todays shooters do not realize how lucky they have it, with Zero Stops!

I would say you have 15” of vertical adjustment per revolution with dash on the coin adjuster to keep track where you are. My Dad’s old Redfield was the same way , just turn with no clicks.
That sounds about right… first shots were over a foot high at 25 yards.. turned it about 4 revolutions to get it near target.. so a form of inches at 100.

Thank you very much. I’ve never seen one like that before…

Also - I think it was famous hunter & gun-writer Finn Aagaard who was so fond of the 2.5-8x Leupold when it was introduced back in the 1980's.

I owned one for a while, then silly me, I sold the rifle and scope! Thought it was probably the best all-around hunting scope I'd ever used.

Guy

Mark,
That's a great scope. The 2.5-8x36mm is my favorite scope. It's got plenty of magnification in a smaller package. The scope you have has a blue color coating on the objective lens. In the late 80's, they changed the coatings and they have a green color.
The friction turret is very robust and once you get your zero, they just don't move.
You have an excellent scope there.

JD338

Thanks Jim. The only issue I’ve had is getting the dioptic adjustment right for my eye… it was better this last time out… seems to be a very fine adjustment and I haven’t hit crisp yet… hope too. I do like its size and when I’m hunting I’m typically using 2-4x. Not one to crank the magnification…

Also - I think it was famous hunter & gun-writer Finn Aagaard who was so fond of the 2.5-8x Leupold when it was introduced back in the 1980's.

I owned one for a while, then silly me, I sold the rifle and scope! Thought it was probably the best all-around hunting scope I'd ever used.

Guy
Currently have 5, 2.5-8's, 4 with the B&C reticle. 3 are on my Model 88's (250 Savage, 7mm-08 and 338 Federal), and 2 are on my wife's rifle's (250 Savage (duplex) and 6.5 CM).
Great scopes! Rugged, reliable, and a good blend of lower power for brush hunting, while enough power for longer shots in open terrain and target practice.
Shorter, lighter, and compact dimensions make these great scopes for lighter rifle packages, and keeping handy rifles quick handling, and well balanced.

Currently have 5, 2.5-8's, 4 with the B&C reticle. 3 are on my Model 88's (250 Savage, 7mm-08 and 338 Federal), and 2 are on my wife's rifle's (250 Savage (duplex) and 6.5 CM).
Great scopes! Rugged, reliable, and a good blend of lower power for brush hunting, while enough power for longer shots in open terrain and target practice.
Shorter, lighter, and compact dimensions make these great scopes for lighter rifle packages, and keeping handy rifles quick handling, and well balanced.
All of your key points are why this is my favorite scope.

This is not info for a Leupold, but maybe it will help. These intructions came with a K-4 Weaver circa 1964 or so. These had friction adjustments with hash marks as I recall. Some body out there might have original directions for a Leupold. Again, these are for a weaver.

Attachments

• Weaver K series scope instructions0001.jpg
    Weaver K series scope instructions0001.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Weaver K series scope instructions0002.jpg
    Weaver K series scope instructions0002.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 3
So it’s adjusted enough to use. I think I’m going to send it back to Leupold as I’m having trouble getting crisp images. My vision is 20/30 now, so not like 20 years ago when I was 20/15…but the adjustment isn’t working well. Also seeing a double vertical line..very close together.

Thank you for the input.
CL - I didn’t forget what I said.

So it’s adjusted enough to use. I think I’m going to send it back to Leupold as I’m having trouble getting crisp images. My vision is 20/30 now, so not like 20 years ago when I was 20/15…but the adjustment isn’t working well. Also seeing a double vertical line..very close together.

Thank you for the input.
CL - I didn’t forget what I said.
They may just send you a new one - which would be just fine! :)

Guy

Back