Love That IMR 7828

highoctane

Beginner
Apr 20, 2018
While many may say that IMR 7828 is temperature sensitive, and they may be the case in some applications but I have found right the opposite in my rifle. While I don't have chrono numbers this load shoots the same in 90 degree plus heat as it does at 40 degrees or less. It was a little rainy today, 70 degrees, but it was still a good day to go shoot. Below is my 280. That lone shot was something else.
4 shots
58.5 grs of IMR-7828
154 gr SST
Win LRP

280.jpg

That is some good shooting right there. I have a fresh pound of 7228, but haven't used it yet. Thinking to use it for the 7 Mag if the IMR 4831 is giving me the fits.

I’ve got some loads to try tomorrow with 7828. 180gr Hybrids in 7RM. It’s always behaved well with me. It’s been consistent and doesnt tend to have pressure spikes out of nowhere.

I finally got around to finishing up a 270 win load with 150 Partition and 7828. I'll be using the 150gr if I draw any tags this year. 58.5 grs has been doing a little over 1/2" over several range sessions but I finally put some rounds through the chronograph. I expected around 2900 fps because the load is not max, I was a bit shocked at 3024 fps avg. That's from a 22" featherweight.

That is some velocity to make you take notice from such a short barrel. Sounds like a fine load--accuracy and velocity with a great bullet! What's not to like?

That load should surely get it done in the field. I have several pounds of IMR 7828 in the cabinet and though i haven't used it in a while i do have several good loads worked up with it for the 25.06. It's a good powder and i plan to keep it around.

Back