M77 Tang-Safety 264 Win Mag

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
I came across one that is rather minty other than a tiny mark on the floor plate. I've never owned a 264, and have a few tang-safety Rugers now, never had a problem getting them to shoot well. This one is not anywhere near the cheap but would be a nice compliment to my existing 77's in 243, 25-06 and 30-06.

My dilemma is that I have a new Leupold that needs a rifle. We've all been warned of what great deals on scopes can lead to, and this is one of those unavoidable situations.

Any 264 shooters out there who can add encouragement/discouragement? :)

How 'bout a wanna' be 264 shooter. I have a 260 that wants to be a 264 WM when it grows up. It is a great cartridge that will grace the collection of anyone who enjoys shooting. The Ruger is a good rifle. I'd be on that like a chicken on a June bug were I down in the States.

Mountain Goat":1n4rm1ms said:
I came across one that is rather minty other than a tiny mark on the floor plate. I've never owned a 264, and have a few tang-safety Rugers now, never had a problem getting them to shoot well. This one is not anywhere near the cheap but would be a nice compliment to my existing 77's in 243, 25-06 and 30-06.

My dilemma is that I have a new Leupold that needs a rifle. We've all been warned of what great deals on scopes can lead to, and this is one of those unavoidable situations.

Any 264 shooters out there who can add encouragement/discouragement? :)

Scotty will be along shortly to "assist" you...........

Do it!

Although I believe Senor Beretz will push him towards an M70...

BK":3nzod8sa said:
Do it!

Although I believe Senor Beretz will push him towards an M70...

Scotty will take one win over the other......He'll try for the Win70, but still get a win in the 264 column.....

Love the 264. Had about 8 of them through the years.
One caveat though gotta have a 26" tube.....

I love the 264 Win Mag, as Kurt, Mike and Jake have said. Fotis gave some great tips and like the others mentioned, 140's at 3200 is pretty deadly. I would think with a 24" barrel, you should be in the 3100 area pretty easily. Give some RL25 a try with 140 BT's or AB's and have at it. I bet you'll be impressed.

0578DEF4.jpg

36A03FE9.jpg

2D1F71CF.jpg

MG

I have a 6.5mm Rem Mag and really like it. The 264 Win Mag is more of a good thing. :wink:
I would get it and not look back.

JD338

HTDUCK":27g6kgr6 said:
Go for it.
Mine launches 130 ABs at 3420 but it wears a 28 inch tube.... :mrgreen:

Howard, yours is a SCREAMER with that long tube. I am not complaining about the 26"er in mine, but that is really something right there.

Mine launches 130ABs 3350 fps with Retumbo and a 27 1/2" barrel and 3/4 MOA accuracy.

SJB358":kiynmlqq said:
HTDUCK":kiynmlqq said:
Go for it.
Mine launches 130 ABs at 3420 but it wears a 28 inch tube.... :mrgreen:

Howard, yours is a SCREAMER with that long tube. I am not complaining about the 26"er in mine, but that is really something right there.

Yep and I bought the barrel as an overstock from McGowen for the princely sum of $95.00 :mrgreen:

Scotty, did you ever get any WC872 to play with?

HTDUCK":1a7j8eem said:
Scotty, did you ever get any WC872 to play with?

Nah, I didn't grab any of it yet. I will eventually, just found RL25 with 140's works so well it is hard to mess with it right now.. I will try it though. For the price, that is what I should have started out with..

Get it! Since I shoot left handed I had one made on a left handed Model 70 and even though I am not that great of a shot that rifle is accurate. I shoot 125 gr Partitions in mine.

Thomas

Back