Moose - Bighorn Sheep - Mountain Goat - Bison draw for Montana is out.

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
Moose - NO
Sheep - NO
Goat - NO
Bison - NO I am on a hunt roster where depending on the migration there could be as many as 54 hunters drawn still for this hunt. I am #1471 on the roster!

Bull Elk tag in a special draw area. - NO
Mule Deer Buck tag in a special draw area. - NO

46th year in a row for Moose and Sheep.
Took me 33 years to draw a mountain goat tag. Populations tanked that year and never got a goat. Had a great hunt and loved every minute of it though.

Last edited:
Even for non residents?
My understanding, yes.

Here is a video with some more details on the hunt: Nine Mile Bison. Here is an article from last year by the Salt Lake Trib (terrible publication) giving some of the background and stating that non residents can buy OTC. However, the big game field guide does not explicitly state nonresidents, so I would suggest a call to Utah DNR if you think you might be interested.

Just remember 2 things:
1 - you forfeit any chance of drawing a bison tag in Utah forevermore
2 - access is very difficult
3 - according to everything I've read, you can buy these each year (if you can afford it)
4 - I'm not very good at counting

The description of the area seems like it's near or includes the famous 9-mile canyon... Lots of ancient native rock art there, and yes, the country is rough. There's also a lot of private land, ranches mostly. Interesting place. I'd like to spend more time there.

My understanding, yes.

Here is a video with some more details on the hunt: Nine Mile Bison. Here is an article from last year by the Salt Lake Trib (terrible publication) giving some of the background and stating that non residents can buy OTC. However, the big game field guide does not explicitly state nonresidents, so I would suggest a call to Utah DNR if you think you might be interested.

Just remember 2 things:
1 - you forfeit any chance of drawing a bison tag in Utah forevermore
2 - access is very difficult
3 - according to everything I've read, you can buy these each year (if you can afford it)
4 - I'm not very good at counting
I may have misunderstood him but it sounds like access into this area is a bear with one of the spots being through a canyon.

I may have misunderstood him but it sounds like access into this area is a bear with one of the spots being through a canyon.
I concur. I suppose I look at it like this: You trade a very small chance of drawing a tag for going out and having a very small chance of harvesting a bison. I think waiting to draw a tag would be the more cost effective option, since you only pay the tag fee once. But going the OTC route certainly has the benefit of you actually getting out in the field and putting glass on.

The other thing I dwell on is that if it's so hard to get in, how hard will it be to get one out?

Back