New M70 270WSM quick range trip

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
I finally got the M70 270WSM scoped with a VX-II 3-9x40 LR. I have a ton of load data for the several 270WSM's I've owned or loaded for, so this was just an attempt to see what RL-17 did in this particular rifle. I use RL-17 in the 300SAUM and the 300WSM primarily, so I wanted to see if I could get it to work in my and my friend's 270WSM's. Magpro is my usual go to powder, but I have other motives with this one.

In short, I worked up to 61.0 grains with a WLR primer and a 130gr NBT. The first few groups were as expected, wide, scattered or stringing. They tend to change shape as the charge increases. I've seen this many times before in the short fats. The 61.0gr charge showed promise with the first group of 3 at .664". The next 3-shots went .721" while the last group went into a full-flinched 1.32". I was shooting some other rifles, and I think my bench concentration time had lapsed on the last group. Next session I'll give the workup through the chrono and evaluate. The E-Tip sure sounds like fun in this cartridge, and I plan on dropping the charge down considerably once I give those a try.

MG,

Sounds like your 270 WSM is going to be a shooter.
The 130 gr E-Tip unleashes the beast in the 270 WSM.

JD338

I've used the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM to take moose, elk and whitetail. All dropped at the shot. The bullet performs admirably, just as does the cartridge.

The 270WSM instantly became a favorite of mine, even back when published load data was non-existent. What I find funny about this is that I've never been a huge fan of the 270 win, for no particular reason. The 270WSM is truly a premiere all-around big-game cartridge. Loaded with the 130gr E-Tip, one can feel confident no matter the hunting situation. Now, I just need to get some loaded and find out, hehe.

Mountain Goat":31bf43wb said:
The 270WSM instantly became a favorite of mine, even back when published load data was non-existent. What I find funny about this is that I've never been a huge fan of the 270 win, for no particular reason. The 270WSM is truly a premiere all-around big-game cartridge. Loaded with the 130gr E-Tip, one can feel confident no matter the hunting situation. Now, I just need to get some loaded and find out, hehe.

MG, same here! Love my 270WSM.. It is really so darned versatile and they always seem to be accurate as heck... I was the same, never much cared for the 270 Win. The WSM changed me!

Okay Okay! I have been talking to Scotty about a second rifle in my personal arsenal up here in Colorado. Scotty came straight out and mentioned the 270 WSM and now I see this post and replies so .....

I have read a few times that the 7mm WSM has a fairly short barrel life. Aside from that I am open to any and all opinions. I am perfectly happy with my 338 Win Mag but if it was between a 7mm WSM, a 7mm Rem Mag or this 270 WSM, for hunting muleys, elk and bear, what say you all?

I would pick the 270WSM Steve, BUT that is because it was my first Short Mag and it is very accurate and has excellent ballistics with a good selection of excellent hunting bullets.

If I were to be unbiased, the 7WSM is a little better for elk, but then again, not by enough to matter. I could happily carry my 270WSM for everything here in the Lower 48 and transition to the 35 or 338WM for anything bigger.. I didn't buy much else for a long time after I got my 270WSM. It shot so well and hammered everything, I didn't see the point...

I can't imagine who would say the 7WSM is hard on barrels. I would anticipate barrel life for the 7WSM to match the venerable 7RM. Consequently, if it is hard on barrels, the 270WSM with a slightly smaller bore would be somewhat harder on barrel life. Having said that, I would not hesitate to pick up a 7WSM for the game you mention. The sole caveat would be the availability of brass and/or ammunition. I'd likely lean toward the 7RM because of that deficit. However, you could do much worse that to have a 270WSM. Any will serve you well.

A ton of local old timers have used 270 WCF all their life for deer and elk, they would die before using anythingn else. I would think that whatever a 270 Winchester can do a 270 WSM can do better. If it was the only rilfe I owned (heaven forbid!) I would have no issues taking it into the elk woods.

I can't imagine who would say the 7WSM is hard on barrels. I would anticipate barrel life for the 7WSM to match the venerable 7RM. Consequently, if it is hard on barrels, the 270WSM with a slightly smaller bore would be somewhat harder on barrel life.
I have been shooting my .270WSM for about 8 years, and am not sure exactly how many rounds it has down its' tube, but suffice it to say a lot of load development and paper punching. If one were to use one just for hunting, the barrel would probably last a lifetime, or more. I have shot mine enough that I have lost the extreme accuracy it had for the first 500 rounds or so, and also note that the velocity of my loads has dropped about 200 fps compared to what they chronographed a few years ago. It still manages to push the 130 gr ballistic tip at over 3000 fps and groups range from under an inch to an inch and a half at a 100 yards. I plan on shooting it for a couple more years, then rebarreling it to, what else, a .270 WSM. I figure a new Pac-Nor barrel will restore it to its former accuracy/velocity capabilities. In current condition, it still performs about like a standard .270 Win., and nothing wrong with that.

If you get a 270WSM, I am pretty sure you will not be disapointed when you start your load work. It gets fast in a hurry..

Back