new to forum and reloading, with a BIG first try problem

mbar84

Beginner
Apr 25, 2012
O.k. so due to budget i've slowly gathered my reloading neccesities, so I trimmed, cleaned, and primed some speer 9mm brass which then sat in a tupperware container until I got the powder and bullets. I promptly loaded about 50 of the already primed brass, and just to do things from start to finish I did about the same amount using federal brass. I went to the range the next day and all most every one of the speer cartridges misfired. The federal stuff seemed fine. If anyone has any ideas of what I might have done I would really appreciate any ideas and i'll see if I can pin point my problem. Thanks in advance, my name is Mike and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Mike,

Welcome to the forum; we're glad you're aboard. I can only guess what might have happened. However, it sounds as if the primers in the Speer brass was not seated to allow clean ignition. You want the primers to be seated to the bottom of the flash hole. Inspect the primers; the primer should be ~ 1-2 mm below the case head.

First guess is the tupperware had moisture in it or condensation formed from large temprature swings with an opened container.

Welcome to the forum, I am not a pistol guy but my best guess would that your primers are the problem. Could be seating & or moisture problem.

Blessings,
Dan

When you say misfire what are you referring to? I'm assuming you mean they just didn't go bang.

Is there any way you can post a pic of the primer region on the cases that would not fire?

Do you notice an indent difference from the ones that went boom and the ones that did not?
You could have had some primers seated too far and they aren't getting struck hard enough to go boom. That probably isn't the case as its pretty tough to get them seated too deep but I've seen it happen.

Are the primers equal between the good and bad rounds? Meaning are they of the same brand?

Some photos here might help.

p.s.
welcome to the forum and please know that there is no question too dumb here. People here are helpful for the most part and will give good advice. Sometimes at the expense of being overly opinionated the advice comes out but for the most part its all good here.

OK, in your post you said you "trimmed" the Speer brass. But was the Federal brass trimmed? If not, I suspect the trimmed brass may be the problem as 9MM ammo headspaces on the case mouth. The Speer brass may now be too short to fuction properly. FWIW, the .45 ACP also headspaces on the case mouth and new unfired 9MM and .45 brass that I've checked is already shorter than the trim to length so I don't bother trimming it at all. I have .45 ACP brass I've loaded at least 10 times and I haven't rimmed it yet. Trimming is usually more important on rifle cartridges and possibly revolver cartridges where the bullet needs to have a uniform roll crimp.
Paul B.

WOW, thank you all so much for all the help, I can see that joining is going to prove to be a great idea. Now the ansewer to my problem, the primers in the speer brass were not seated deep enough. Just so you all can have a good laugh I'll tell you why, I noticederday that one of my primer tools was missing so I looked all over for it, found it under my bench way in the back. Low and behold it was the small priming tool. Upon further investigation my son had knocked of the right one and could'nt find it, not wanting to get in trouble because he knows he should'nt be around my equipment he just replaced it with the large primer tool. I guess the federals worked because the primer pockets are .002 shallower than the speer. Needless to say the two tools are now brightly marked. What can you do learn, laugh, and do it all over again. Thanks again guys. LOL :oops: :lol:

Welcome to the forum! I didn't want to offer an opinion, as I don't load for a pistol and had no ideas for a solution, but I'm glad you figured out the problem and no one got hurt.

mbar84

Welcome to the forum.
Glad you were able to resolve the problem.

JD338

Hi Mike, I load for 45acp and rarely need to trim it, manufactures keep cases the headspace off the case mouth at the proper length. Revolver brass is a different story, sized case length can vary enough to to make roll crimping a PITA.
The primers should seat below the case head at least a few 1/1000 of inch if not the primer pockets may not be deep enough. Some brass has tight pockets and some primers are harder to seat than others, this together can make primer seating a PITA.

Thanks again everyone. As for the fedral ammo I like it, never had any problems with their factory loads, and of course I was the problem with the reloads so.

Hey, that's why we're here. Keep up the good work. You'll shortly be a champ at hand loading if you follow the rules of safety and pay attention to details.

Back