New (To Me) Detachable Ring Option

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
I was at a gun show checking out the tables with my dad recently, and we stumbled upon a local Rifle Maker with a few VERY nice Pre 64 Model 70's. He said he only did it as a hobby, but his work was as good as I have seen in person. The 375 H&H has a set of rings I had not seen before. They were quick detachable rings and bases from Alaska Arms, LLC. They came off with just a 1/4 turn of the wing and are guaranteed to return to POI within 1/4 MOA. They feature a strong claw mount and recoil lug of the CZ type. He makes them for CZ, Ruger and has the custom base option that was on the M70.

When I got back home I sent them an email. The owner, Morris, sent a reply and within a week or two (after SHOT, SCI, etc.) I had them here. I mounted them up, adjusted them and slapped my 1.5-5x20 VX3i in the rings. Once adjusted, the settings are locked in with a set screw, and there is no way for this system to get out of adjustment. This system is very unique and in my opinion (I used to be a Mechanical Engineer in a past life) are the best detachable rings in this price range available. I was so impressed that I ordered a set for my short action as well, and will be selling the Talley Detachable Bases and Rings that are on there now. I have tried all varieties of Leupold, Talley, Weaver, etc. There's no comparison. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of them, but I like this system so much better, that I don't think I'll be using anything else. I will probably order a set for my Ruger #1 45-70 too, so that I can use my NECG Aperature if I wish.

One other thing about the rings - you can mount the levers on either side on the custom version, and he makes right and left hand versions for the CZ and Rugers. I like mine on the right so that they don't snag on my clothes when I am carrying the rifle.

Here's a few pics on my donor rifle (soon to be a 35 Whelen AI). I would like to move the scope forward a bit, but that puts the front ring over the objective lens. I have a call into my friend at Leupold to see if this is an issue or not. No problem with the mounting position now, but moving it 3/4" forward would be perfect.

33004376926_97984c3a03_c.jpg

32890124662_c608fa6249_c.jpg

32663977850_281f07be10_c.jpg

33004374536_93bdef5599_c.jpg

Interesting. I've seen those mounts before... probable on a used gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does appear to be a sturdy mount. After you have opportunity to assess it on your own gear, let us know what you think.

DrMike":13w80fr5 said:
It does appear to be a sturdy mount. After you have opportunity to assess it on your own gear, let us know what you think.

Will do. Should have it back from the smith in a couple months.

I think I saw something like that in an old Jack O'Connor book, used in Africa when people had zero confidence in scopes holding up on dangerous game rifles. Stout enough, return to zero, all that. Or I just imagined it - YMMV. :grin:

Sweet!
Got contact info on this guy?

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back