Nosler 48 connects again...and again.

Congratulations. He does look as if he will provide some excellent meals. Young animals are supreme table fare.

Man, you have me wanting to go for a early lunch Caribou Tenderloin Mmmmm 8). Mind you I can't find Caribou in these parts :evil:.
That is one wild meat that I have not eaten, but one day I sure would like to give it a try (y).
Continued success during your fall caribou hunt!!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I just have a love affair with caribou. I like to look at them, I like to hunt them, I like to eat them...just everything.

Our hunting is going good. My partner Gary got into camp later that night and we went out on Sat. He scored a nice bull on Sat. evening. While we were butchering, I had the biggest bull I've ever had opportunity on walk to within 20yds of me...staring at me the whole time.

I passed because we still had to get Gary's taken care of and packed out to the lake and then row for a couple of hours. I told him I'd regret it in the AM....and I did. Right decision given the long season I've got left and the approaching darkness.... but that was a really nice bull.

How close are you to caribou? NWT and the Yukon should be huntable in Canada for sure.

My sole complaint of caribou here in BC is that the hunt is during the rut. I would prefer an earlier hunt. Still, they are one of the most beautiful of all the ungulates, without question.

We have a few in the northern part of our province they are the woodland species. However you can only get a tag if you live in the zone that has the caribou. It would be well over a 1000 miles to the closest area for me to hunt them and then being a out of province hunter would make it way more complicated and more expensive as well.
It will be a priority hunt for me once I get this Mountain Moose hunt taken care of :wink:!!

Blessings,
Dan

That little guy would taste really good, congrats.

Caribou is one of the best eating animals out there, I too one in north east B.C. one time at the end of August and it was some of the best meat we ever had. Would love to do it again soon maybe I should do a fly in next year in late August/early Sptember............

Ours are mountain caribou, Dan. I still encounter them occasionally when in the areas south of here. Otherwise, I need to drive up north a little ways to find them. They are plentiful up there.

Spent all afternoon chasing bou, found a small group of 5 bulls, two decent and one pretty nice. Couldn't get close enough today, but going to try again in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I ended my caribou season yesterday. I snuck up on a yearling bull at last light, ranged him at 245yds, rested the rifle across the binocular case and pressed the trigger. The bull went down in a pile before the gun came down out of recoil. Perfect performance from the rifle and bullet that I've some to expect. The photos didn't turn out in the low light, but a skillet bull does better on a plate than a photo anyway.

Also had something of an unusual opportunity earlier in the day- while glassing we had a lone female wolf wander in and actual put the sneak on us while we were glassing from cover in my favorite rock pile. She closed to 20', bared her teeth and I shot her. The .300WSM does fearful damage to a hide at that range- which is something I expected. I've taken a lot of caribou from this particular area, I figured I ought to help them out in return.

Attachments

• wolf.jpg
    wolf.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 3,799
Good job on that wolf!!

Couple pics from today
The
98b0bbf89e13dae93b1091c8698999b2.jpg

c6be13042374b4571aded20a5e37fefd.jpg

92c67d6427b0db10a3bb51e9e053b031.jpg

Guess ground squirrels like Cheetos

Great wolf shot and congrats on the skillet bull! Sounds like an excellent day. That little 300 sure stacks them up!

I've grown very fond of that rifle and cartridge. It's hard to remain objective about such things, but I guess at heart all hunters can exhibit a sentimental streak.

I've not used the rifle exclusively since 2006, but nearly so. I've only taken two shots at big game with something else and both times I desperately wished for my .300- the first was my nicest caribou at 300 yards with my .308. It worked, but I wished for something a little more emphatic in the knock down department. The second was a bull caribou I was backing a buddy up on. He'd wounded the bull at 350 yds with a shot too far back and when it next appeared was 450 yds away and gimping out of the area . He expended all his rounds trying to finish what he started so I opened fire with a perfectly adequate .270 that I've virtually ignored since I bought it. I managed to break the bull's back leg and allow him to close the distance to finish the job with a revolver. Not at all like I like to do things- the .270 is likely going back into the safe.

Both cases, I (somewhat irrationally) feel would have ended better or quicker with my .300 in my hands. That is certainly not an empirically provable sentiment, but I hold it anyway. Particularly since all three animals I shot with the .300 this year died in their tracks and never moved an inch.

Thebear_78":3j3wd5qj said:
Good job on that wolf!!

Couple pics from today
The
98b0bbf89e13dae93b1091c8698999b2.jpg

c6be13042374b4571aded20a5e37fefd.jpg

92c67d6427b0db10a3bb51e9e053b031.jpg

Guess ground squirrels like Cheetos

Great pictures. Love those spotter pictures.

Hodgeman, your right, maybe not written in stone evidence but a 180 from a 300 magnum is a decisive combo.

Went for the last weekend of the early caribou season with my son Evan. The migration was in full swing and the rut is on so we targeted either cows or young bulls to avoid harvesting meat that a sled dog won't eat.

We got on a group within 10 minutes of leaving the trailhead and chased them through the head high brush for an hour. We had a big bull at just 25 yards but passed- you could almost smell him at that distance. We continued on to an area we hunt a lot that is a high alpine basin with a small lake in the middle. On the far side of the lake a group of 20 or so was browsing around. Evan took the lead and we made a stalk around the lake onto a small pressure ridge. A nice fat cow was the closest of the caribou to us but we couldn't approach any closer without the herd spooking . We had planned for Evan to shoot, but the rangefinder reported 348 yards and even after a little coaching- declined to take the shot. I felt pretty good about that, so I lined up on the cow and the Nosler boomed. The cow hunched up at the impact and was obviously hit hard. She took two steps and collapsed out of sight.

I told Evan to keep the rifle close and keep a watch because we could see caribou on virtually every hill top. I figured one would get curious and come to check out what we were doing. About an hour later a young bull came across the top into our little basin and wandered to just 180 yards. Evan was all lined to shoot and I told him to wait a bit. That bull wandered and stared us down for what seemed like an eternity but every step he took carved off range. The last time I ranged him he was just 55yards....I told Evan to shoot him at the next broadside opportunity unless he had a bayonet. The bull turned to slightly quartering away and Evan center punched him with the 7-08. Collapsed in his tracks but on approach he was still flopping a bit so Evan put one directly in his head. It cost us the opportunity for a trophy photo, but it worked.

Attachments

• Evan1.jpg
    Evan1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 4,632
  • Evan2.jpg
    Evan2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 4,632
Congratulations to you both! Evan did well. Knowing when to pass on a shot is the mark of a serious hunter. For sure, Evan is to be encouraged for knowing his limitations. Oh, yeah, caribou in rut can be pretty rank.

Congrats on the caribou. Has to be a goodly amount of freezer meat!

What Bullet did you run this year in the 7-08?

SJB358":3aurkq9n said:
Congrats on the caribou. Has to be a goodly amount of freezer meat!

What Bullet did you run this year in the 7-08?

I used the Federal Fusion 140s...even after some disappointment last year. I'm having some accuracy issues finding a load in the rifle. I've got a couple more loads to try with the 120BT but just ran out of time this year.

At 55yds, the 140 Fusion opened up perfectly, I actually recovered it on the off side- it's a near perfect mushroom!

Back