Ready, but grumpy

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Between some family issues and moving into a new home in August, I've had ZERO time to fiddle with rifles this year, so I am relying on rifles that were "done" last year.

I shot my 300WSM when I verified the 257 Roberts as well for my daughter's October rifle hunt. The 300 was on the mark where I'd left it last, and shot just under 1" at 100, 1.5" high, which is where it should be, since I zeroed it at 200 (different range) last year. Good. That's shooting a 180pt at 2975. Should drop about 6.5-7" at 300, which is what I'd observed on the 300 yard range last year as well.

Today I took 4 more rifles that were essentially "done".... 270 Winchester, 30-06, 45-70, and 264WM. My worry on the 264 was I know the load is slightly hot, and it needs to be dialed back. My hope was I could squeak by another year with it, and I wanted to shoot it in more moderate temps (it was 48 at the range and I was in the shade).

Results---

270: first shot was a bit higher than I wanted, landing about 3.5" high at 100. Second shot hit within an inch, about the same elevation. Made an adjustment. Next shot hit about 1.4" high. Made an adjustment. Next two hit overlapping in the absolute center of the target dot, which is 1.5" above the 6 o'clock position on the dot where I was aiming. With a 150BT running 2900-ish, that's where I wanted it. Done.

30-06: 2 shots, nearly touching, almost punched out the black in the center of the dot...same 1.5" high at 100. Running a 165gr PT at 2700 (pokey load, I know, but it shoots well, and is super, super reliable), that's the zero I wanted. Done.

45-70: Hit about 4" high. Made an adjustment and over-compensated (the old VariX-III on it is a decent scope, but H-A-T-E friction-adjust dials). Hit about 3" low. Another adjustment and it was on the mark, dead on, at 100. That's with 350gr Kodiaks. Probably wouldn't be dumb to nudge it up a bit, but I have to load more ammo, so I called it good. Shot about an inch, maybe 1.5", at 100. Good.

264: #$$%#@#%$@#**%(@q@($#@#!!!!! Bolt lift wasn't bad, but groups flat out SUCKED. Like, 3" at 100. Same load has given me repeated groups at 300 of under 3", so I'm not sure what's up. Same jug of powder, but I developed the load in the summer heat, so I'm wondering how temp sensitive RL33 is, and if the cooler temps are changing the ballistics enough to mess with it. Regardless, back to the drawing board on it, and I don't see it being hunted this year. Bummer, because I'd planned to do just that.

So at this point, I have the 300WSM, 270, 30-06, and 45-70 all good to go. I won't be in bad shape for hunting season. Just don't have the rifles I wanted ready, that's all. My projects for next spring will be my 300H&H, 35 Whelen, and now the 264. I think I know what to do to get the 300H&H and 35W happy again, now the 264 just feels like I need to make a fresh start and work it out again. Once I get my daughter's 7WSM running, I guess I'll work out a hot-rod 100gr PT load for the 257, too. I like the terminal results it gave on her deer with her reduced loads, so I want to put some oomph behind that bullet and see a good 300-yard rifle out of it, which I'm sure it can be.

So....goal next year....ALL rifles done, ready, good to hunt, by the end of May.

I'm laughing at myself right now, because it sounds impossible, but I'm gonna give it my best and see if I can it done.

The good thing is that the 150BT load in the 270 and 300PT load in the 300WSM give nearly identical drop tables...within 1" +/- out to 400 yards. Both loads were shot to 300 last year and verified against the drop tables, which makes me feel good about both the speeds I recorded on the chrono and the validity of the drops I calculated. So, with either rifle, on the mark at 200, -3" at 250, -6.5/7" at 300, -12/13" at 350, and -20" at 400. Should work...

Reloder 33 isn't typically temp sensitive....

Some pretty well known long distance hunters have put it to the test and gave positive reviews.

Reloder 33 is made from the same recipe as Reloder 26... At least that's what Alliant says and comparing the MSDS info, it appears to be true.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TD-

We have all been there. I had a particularly difficult .270 WSM years ago in a Remington 700 SPS - once I cut a business card in half and stuck that in between the barrel and the forend tip on the Tupperware stock, it suddenly became "easy" about what it liked to shoot or not. Which was good because NONE of my handloads would stay within 3" at 100 yards consistently before that. And I was getting real tired of shooting 150 grain W-W Factory loads at 30.00 a box.

You'll get it figured out and have one dynamite long-range rifle out of the deal.

Your "other" four rifles will take care of anything you need this year!

Good luck!

Dale

What has me scratching my head on the 264 is I ran that load over my chrono on a cloudy, temperate day (in the 70's-low 80's) and got an average of like 3250-ish. Shot two back to back groups at 300 at of 2.5-2.8".

Reshot it the next year (last year), and it shot over the chrono on a sunny day in the 70's at 3315. Accuracy was ok, but not as good as before. Bolt lift was more difficult.

This year, shot in high 40's (no chrono today, range was too busy), I get 3", give or take, at 100 and a little push needed on the bolt on the third of three shots, but nothing of consequence on the first two in the string.

Same load. Same OAL, same powder, same charge weight, same bullet, same primer, same brass.

The rifle might have 200 rounds in it. Maybe.

All mounts/screws appear to be as I left them. Nothing is obviously different on torque or position.

I think I need to just work a charge weight spectrum on it again and see what I find. If it's still going to be a stubborn mule, then I gotta look deeper.

Hard to say without more range time.... And I know all too well how hard it can be to find time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I wonder......I haven't really tended to the bore much lately on the 264. I wonder if it's just dirty....

TD,

I had decent success with H4831SC and 140gr partitions. I didn't spend a lot of time screwing with it but I kept it around 1" @100 without issues. Didn't try it at 200 yet though since I rarely take any of the pre64's along hunting anymore.

tddeangelo":kvk6lz2l said:
I wonder......I haven't really tended to the bore much lately on the 264. I wonder if it's just dirty....

Could be...those high speed rounds can copper up a barrel pretty quick sometimes.

Ok, so I'm doing the BoreTech routine, and wow...I could probably make 10 bucks worth of pennies out of what I'm finding in here.....

I have brass prepped to load, but I stopped before actually throwing charges/seating bullets. I'm gonna get this thing cleaned up and try 'er again soon. Maybe I should have done this a while ago..... :?

TD, I hear where you're coming from. I haven't fired a shot from anything since January 13 of this year. :shock: Between several sessions of health problems and uncooperative weather I haven't been able to get to the range. I do have a few rifles that should be OK, all in McMillan stocks and they've held their zero quite well over the years. The fourth has a wood stock but has been quite reliable as well, not to mention it's a big time favorite for my elk hunts. I just finished another build but can't seem to find a single box of ammo. Well not quite true, the LGS has one box of premium ammo but I'm not willing to pay $70+ for one box of ammo to test the changes on the rifle. I just need one box to take factory pressure measurements prior to working up a load. It's a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic out of New Haven. It now sits in a McMillan stock with Pachmeyr Decelerator and muzzle brake. It literally beat me to death in factory configuration. Oh and it's a .338 Win. Mag. If I don't get it ready, no big deal. Come the tail end of December I'm going hunting, the Good Lord willing.
Paul B.

Paul, hope your 338 gets together for you.

I'm real hopeful with the 264 now. I'm re-doing the BoreTech routine a second time, as the first one just stripped enough off for me to see how stinkin' bad it was fouled. And then I couldn't remember when I last cleaned it. Ruh roh.

So with all this copper, and a hotter load, I can see where pressure issues started showing, and the rifle consistently was hitting high for me, too, and groups are opened up. Seems like this has a good chance of being the culprit. I'm hoping, anyway. I have something in mind for this rifle this year, and I'd like to make it happen.

My 35AI coppers really dad and last time to the range it said it needed to be cleaned. I'm thinking about fire lapping it but not too keen on the idea. Been hoping it would clean it's self up and smooth out.

My rebore ate copper like Cookie Monster for about 75 rounds and then calmed down.

Hope to have good news soon on the 264. Might sneak in a quick range trip tomorrow if things go well. The first of patch that pushed out the powder residue revealed gleaming, shiny, new penny colored grooves. Yikes.

Now most of that is gone. Even if I didn't get every molecule, I got the vast majority and hope to see it respond accordingly.

I've got close to 100 rounds threw it and it is easier to clean but still way to much copper for me. mine looks like a copper penny also. Boretech takes it out after letting it soak and several patches on a nylon brush. The copper grabs a dry patch and it's tough trying to push it threw the bore so I only push wet patches threw it.

I know what you mean. Realized today I only have copper brushes. Oops. Lol.

I noticed a huge difference in ease of sending a patch through from the first patch to the last one (after three rounds of bore tech). Huge.

I'm hoping this is what caused that load to develop more pressure and lose accuracy. That would be very cool, as I want this rifle in the fight this year.

I know what you mean, I want to carry the 35AI this year also. The 7RM can wait since it's a project in waiting. :grin:

I mercifully don't have many projects coming up. Just my load work stuff as mentioned, plus setting up my daughter's 7mm, but otherwise, quiet on that front for a bit. I need that, lol.

I have a flintlock project in mind, but that's not even close to a priority. Plus it'll take buckets of cash, and I don't have a coffee cup of it at the moment! :lol:

tddeangelo":1yvzbjv2 said:
I mercifully don't have many projects coming up. Just my load work stuff as mentioned, plus setting up my daughter's 7mm, but otherwise, quiet on that front for a bit. I need that, lol.

I have a flintlock project in mind, but that's not even close to a priority. Plus it'll take buckets of cash, and I don't have a coffee cup of it at the moment! :lol:

I know what you mean friend. If it took 100 dollars to make it to heaven I might make it to the county line! ;)

Good Luck!

Dale

Back