Reloader 17 Powder

DrMike":6r8gqglq said:
The Scirocco is a fine bullet. It can be touchy, primarily due to the longer bearing surface, I suspect. Still, it is a fine bullet that can perform exceptionally well.

It sure is Mike. I remember using them out of the 7 STW several years ago when hunting nilgai. They are tough critters, but stopped using them due to high prices.

TackDriver284":2gyeaxzc said:
DrMike":2gyeaxzc said:
The Scirocco is a fine bullet. It can be touchy, primarily due to the longer bearing surface, I suspect. Still, it is a fine bullet that can perform exceptionally well.

It sure is Mike. I remember using them out of the 7 STW several years ago when hunting nilgai. They are tough critters, but stopped using them due to high prices.
Actually I can get them cheaper than I can the 225gr PT plus they come 100 to the box and not 50.

My Chronograph velocities for the 210gr PT are higher than what DrMikes QL shows so I must have a fast lot of RL17 and that could also explain some of the problem. I'll back it off and see what happens.
What is the SAAMI max pressure for the 338Wm?
I think I saw it as 65Kpsi somewhere.
Thanks for the responses.

truck driver":a0l8rmwn said:
TackDriver284":a0l8rmwn said:
DrMike":a0l8rmwn said:

Actually I can get them cheaper than I can the 225gr PT plus they come 100 to the box and not 50.

My Chronograph velocities for the 210gr PT are higher than what DrMikes QL shows so I must have a fast lot of RL17 and that could also explain some of the problem. I'll back it off and see what happens.

QL predicts 62,366 psi

This link shows a list of max pressures for different calibers. Hope that is what you are looking for.
http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Wiki says 64,000 psi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Winchester_Magnum

TackDriver284":x6z0ux6h said:
truck driver":x6z0ux6h said:
TackDriver284":x6z0ux6h said:
DrMike":x6z0ux6h said:

QL predicts 62,366 psi

This link shows a list of max pressures for different calibers. Hope that is what you are looking for.
http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Wiki says 64,000 psi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Winchester_Magnum

Ive always shot for 62K loads. Or as best I can guess.

I've been working with Dewey in the back round on this and he has calibrated the burn rate to the velocity that I was seeing with some 200gr ABs with the same powder lot and it seems this lot is 10% hotter than the usual burn rate.

I'm glad I saved the rest of the powder I used for my 210gr PT loads I had developed so I don't have to start over again with load development for them.

I use quite a bit of RL 17 in the '06. I have not had any temperature sensitivity problems. I was in Africa last month and used RL 17 with 180 Pro Hunters and no issue in 90+ temps. I have to agree with everyone else, the Scirocco has a longer bearing surface and creates higher pressures than other bullets of same weight. I usually load 1.5-2 grains lower with that bullet. That being said, it is one of my favorite bullets and is a great performer on game.

Several years ago I tried some RL17 behind 210grs in my 338wm on a warm day in June and experienced the same issues. Chronograph 3100+ , kicked like 250s, and hard bolt release. Gave up that idea. Currently have great results with H4831sc. Behind Sierra and hornady 225s in both of my 338wm. It's a little dirty , but I get great groups for both guns with the same loads. That way you can share ammo with your son. Right[WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Agree on the Sirocco, to "me" Swift bullets are tackier, tend to "bump up" quicker , being almost pure copper/lead. However, the Sirocco II is a much better bullet than the original Scirocco, which was much gummier and also tended to fragment at high speeds. I used the 75gr SII to kill a 300 pound hog out of my old .224 TTH ( 22./6mm) at 25yds, it fragmented but it hit bone (neck/skull junction) and I expected it too. I had it humming, 3700fps, ha. I think the 210 SII ( they are all SII now or is there a newer one?) is a fine choice for the 338WM. I "know" the 185 Barnes is, and the 210XBT in the 340W holds up great. I was shooting that 210XBT at 3200 from the 340W though! 3160 sounds awesome, haa, but "has" to be in the over 72K range, lol. Go Roger, go! :)

Soon as I get the 338 cleaned up I'm going to give those 210 Sciroccos a good shot and likely with 17! They seem like they will be wicked at around 3000..

SJB358":3b6mzqbc said:
Soon as I get the 338 cleaned up I'm going to give those 210 Sciroccos a good shot and likely with 17! They seem like they will be wicked at around 3000..
I can reach close to 3000fps which would be just over max. I'm just below max and I think I have found a node somewhere around 2930-2950fps ( 61Kpsi ). I have some loaded with 70.5grs of R17 loaded up for a seating depth test ( .050"-.075"-.100" ) which is where we think one of the nodes is.

One thing I will say about the Sciroccos is that they have a very consistent O-give and repeat seating depth is easier than with the Nosler bullets I've loaded which I have to back off the seating stem and adjust for each bullet to get them the same OAL.

...I have mentioned this before, but, RL-17 is EXTREMELY temp sensitive & will give you HUGE ES & SD's (it's true, I read it on the internet). Since the temps around here are fairly consistent, only varying from 80* to -25* during hunting season, I do use a little RL-17 in the .325 WSM, oh, & the .300 WSM, uh, & the 7mm WSM & 6.5 Creedmoor, & the .25 & 243 WSSM, .25-06 & 7 RM...

...fortunately for you guys, w/ a short drive I have access to, literally, thousands of ac. of uninhabited public lands, where after you mail it to me, I can safely dispose of all yer RL-17 for a minimal fee...

wildgene":fm6ovbtp said:
...fortunately for you guys, w/ a short drive I have access to, literally, thousands of ac. of uninhabited public lands, where after you mail it to me, I can safely dispose of all yer RL-17 for a minimal fee...

Fertilizer? You growing strawberries, Gene?

DrMike":2g2wkddh said:
wildgene":2g2wkddh said:

Fertilizer? You growing strawberries, Gene?

...well, you know how it is, Dr. Mike, "Clearcut, burn, plant strawberries, go for a cash crop"...

Back