Ross gunstock on boyds

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
Hey guy's, I just sold my stock for the Winchester and I am now looking at the Ross thumb hole stocks in the pepper color to replace it. Does anyone have one of these stocks and how is the quality of them? Thanks

I don't own one, but I've heard that some have had finish problems after a period of time. If I were getting one, I'd consider the Boyd's, as well as any of these:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/th ... Categories

There are likely others, too, but I've heard excellent things about Stocky's and for the money, they really can't be beat. Best prices around on many of the synthetics.

I appreciate the site you gave. I should not have to worry about the finish on the ross stock because I have to buy the unfinished one and finish it myself because I don't have a floor plate and the finished stocks already have to the floor plate cut out on them.

I bought a Ross Thumbhole stock in pepper laminate and put it on my 257 Wby Vanguard. It was great looking. I had it bedded and hunted with it for about 4 or 5 years and it never had any problems and it was the most accurate rifle I owned. The stock is a little heavier than a standard synthetic or JRS but I see they have a new lightweight version with cooling vents in the barrel area. If I could have changed anything about it it would have been to checker the forstock grip area. It was a little slippery when you first pick the rifle up. The lightweight vented version may be better in that respect. Very Solid, very nice.
Greg

I bought a Ross thumbhole a few years ago for my Savage 204. Bought the finished version in pepper lam. I did however have to sand out the barrel channel to fit the bull barrel and dremel out the blind magazine area a little. The mag area was a little shallow for my Savage. Other than those minor issues, I love the Ross on it. Helped balance it out as it was very front heavy.

I'll also go +1 on Stock's stocks. I've purchased several laminate thumbholes from them for two Rem 700s. One needed a little dremeling around the safety lever area to get it to work properly.

What would be the best products to finish the stock and really get that pepper color out of it?

corbin9191":1hb5q514 said:
What would be the best products to finish the stock and really get that pepper color out of it?

Believe it or not Birchwood Casey Tru-oil does a fine job.
I just bought a Boyd's Laminate For my model 70 Black Shadow,it was unfinished as well.
A bit of sanding and some work at the tang with a dreml tool (stock was a bit proud) and it looks GREAT!

HTDUCK":30kz3mmq said:
corbin9191":30kz3mmq said:

Believe it or not Birchwood Casey Tru-oil does a fine job.
I just bought a Boyd's Laminate For my model 70 Black Shadow,it was unfinished as well.
A bit of sanding and some work at the tang with a dreml tool (stock was a bit proud) and it looks GREAT!
That is the same gun I am doing this for as well :lol:

That is one great looking rifle you have there. I should be ordering mine here in the next week so I will get the birchwood casey oils and get to work.

I got mine pre-finished and thought it looked great but now that I've seen HTDUCKS :shock: I'll be finishing mine myself with Tru-oil from now on. :wink:
Greg

How hard will it be to pillar bed this stock? Can someone explain how to do it? As I have never done it due to all of my stocks being pillar bedded already.

Imo, pillar bedding a laminate is a waste of time if you have glass bedded the action and floated the barrel. YMMV.

ok, so just glass bed the action and free float the barrel then? I can get the glass bedding material for $25.00 if that is the case.

Back