Some Good Buys to be Had on Leupolds

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
With Leupold doing a redesign of the VX-I and VX-II series, and dropping the Rifleman, many retailers have been discounting existing inventory. While the discounts online haven't been what I consider to be tempting or irresistible, the local Sportsman's Warehouse has some decent buys.

I picked up a VX-II 3-9x40 LR for $249 even though the sale tag in the case said $299. The manager of the department said that the pricing dicounts in the system are outpacing the making of the tags, so he wasn't surprised. This isn't the exact scope of my dreams, but since I had a new M70 270WSM sitting around without any glass, this just made sense. I can at least get it out to the range and start some load work.

I'm not worried about the new VX-2 being better than the one I bought. When the current series was released with the Multi-Coat 4, it was a heck of a deal. The cheapest price then was around $269, so I figured I'm just getting a new scope at yesteryear's pricing.

If anyone is looking for decent glass at reasonable prices, now is a good time to deplete inventory with the new series being released.

Thanks for the tip MG. Now were looking forward to hearing about the 270WSM out on the range!

Not to sure about all that Mountain Goat as I had a friend pick up a new VX-2 about a week ago and he claims it out performs his old VX-III and really couldnt say enough good about it.........................
here is the link to the changes and there is quite a bit of difference in them now. He was so impressed and has many high grade scopes that I thought I might try one with the German #4 .
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/132 ... 3gt39htyba

Pretty impressive. A whole new upgraded catagory at a decent price. Thanks for the heads up.
Greg

I actually really like that scope/reticle combo. I'd like it better if it had hashmarks rather than dots for the extra aiming points. I mounted one of those on my .300 H&H and one on my Featherweight '06. If I were at home (and a little more sure of my employment situation) I'd pick up as many as I could.

Sorta interesting that a week ago when he told me about the new scope I went onto the Leupold site and they did NOT even have them listed yet and only showed the VX-II scopes.......... I see the bigger wholesalers catalogs coming in seam to have about half of the models in stock and still trying to dump the old II s. The Leupold numbers for the older models are in the 56xxx range and it looks like the new models are all in the 110xxx range. I see alot of the Sharpies on ebay are starting to play with all that calling the older models VX-2s to fool people. If they have the optics of a VX III with no price increase that is good news. I really think that Zeiss has hurt them big time at the $400 price range and they had to do something or loose the market. I didnt know anything about them until he brought it all up after he saw them at the shot show. He went on to say that he felt the light gathering ability of the new VX-2 was definately better than either one of the VX III he has and being a physics professor he would know how to test scopes as he checks lens alignment and all that with lasers in the lab all the time at school so really gets into all the technical stuff and understands wavelenghts, and air to glass interfaces, at a compleatly different level than most of us ever would want to get into.

SJB358":2gcmay4s said:
Thanks for the tip MG. Now were looking forward to hearing about the 270WSM out on the range!

I'm itching to get out there myself. I'm trying to get a 300WSM M70 Extreme Weather, 700 BDL SS 300 SAUM, X-Bolt SS 270WSM, and this M70 Classic Sporter 270WSM to digest RL-17 with acceptable accuracy. The two 300's performed very well. If the 270's do half as good, I'm golden! :wink:

BK":c9ckktfc said:
I actually really like that scope/reticle combo. I'd like it better if it had hashmarks rather than dots for the extra aiming points. I mounted one of those on my .300 H&H and one on my Featherweight '06. If I were at home (and a little more sure of my employment situation) I'd pick up as many as I could.

I had a Vari-X-II 2-7 with the Leupold Dot reticle, and it was awesome! The LR is just a hybrid of the LD and Duplex, hehe.

Mountain Goat":27u6d4v4 said:
SJB358":27u6d4v4 said:

I'm itching to get out there myself. I'm trying to get a 300WSM M70 Extreme Weather, 700 BDL SS 300 SAUM, X-Bolt SS 270WSM, and this M70 Classic Sporter 270WSM to digest RL-17 with acceptable accuracy. The two 300's performed very well. If the 270's do half as good, I'm golden! :wink:

MG, I am not sure what bullet you are using, but RL22 has been REALLY good to me in the 270WSM.

IMG_0824.jpg

That is the 150 PT.

Great group, Scotty. It's amazing what 27 calibre pencils will do. :lol: Man, you have that load dialed in. It will work for almost anything in North America.

By the way Scotty I don't think that you have to work any longer on that load. Now the business at hand, lets see what you can get the 35 to do :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Good deal for sure.
Nice group, you are ready!

JD338

sask boy":39wnrj3t said:
By the way Scotty I don't think that you have to work any longer on that load. Now the business at hand, lets see what you can get the 35 to do :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Hoping to get out soon with the 225's Dan. Hoping for the best from them. I haven't found any reason to think they won't shoot awesome though.

Back