The Fruit of Last Fall's Hunt

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
We had elk tenderloin this evening. They were coated with a honey mustard glaze and placed on the Traeger grill. Done to perfection, the flavour was excellent. Combined with baked potatoes and ranch-style beans, it was a meal fit for a king with plenty left over for a couple of more meals. Man, that gets me anticipating the fall hunt for this year.

That sounds really good!

Did you make the glaze for the meat? If so what was in it?

Honey (enough to sweeten and flavour), 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard, a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise, rosemary and tarragon. All mixed and fully coating the tenderloins. If it is of interest, I used apple wood to generate smoke. I basted the meat a couple of times as I cooked it during the following hour. I removed it when it reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Consequently, it was good again re-heated with eggs for breakfast.

DrMike":2nypmy5k said:
Honey (enough to sweeten and flavour), 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard, a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise, rosemary and tarragon. All mixed and fully coating the tenderloins. If it is of interest, I used apple wood to generate smoke. I basted the meat a couple of times as I cooked it during the following hour. I removed it when it reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Consequently, it was good again re-heated with eggs for breakfast.

I am officially drooling all over myself. Thanks a lot Wolfgang Puck!

Now, Scotty, I thought the Corps ensured that you were fed the finest rations imaginable! You mean they're not sending you moose steaks and elk tenderloins? Well, you'll just have to make a trip up this way so I can remedy that situation.

DrMike":2drqbd6g said:
Now, Scotty, I thought the Corps ensured that you were fed the finest rations imaginable! You mean they're not sending you moose steaks and elk tenderloins? Well, you'll just have to make a trip up this way so I can remedy that situation.

Uh, not quite. Maybe I am eating in the wrong chow hall though? The Air Force might get that stuff! :twisted:

The Air Force might get that stuff!

Uh, we'll have to ask Fotis, or Joel, or perhaps some of the other fellows who spent time in Nirvana ... er, the Air Force.

Russ,

I'll get a picture next time. You wouldn't want to see it at the moment. I'll be grilling early next week.

Mike that sounded like a great meal but you had it about a month to late :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I'm surprised you waited this long to enjoy them. I like them the day of the hunt or at most the day after. A little sprinkly of sea salt and a little fresh cracked black pepper with a drizzle of EVOO and just a few minutes on each side over a very hot charcoal fire.

I do the same with backstraps cut about 3/4" thick.

I don't really care for potatoes but some beets with antelope tenderloin and thats a King's meal.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

Too bad I didn't draw an Antelope tag this year. :(

I actually had moose tenderloin last evening. I had an apple smoke rub my wife picked up from an Amish group in Missouri this past winter. I cut the tenderloins in 1.5 inch thick medallions and grilled them. With a fresh garden salad and a nice butternut squash (sauteed with butter, salt and pepper so as to enjoy the natural sweetness of the squash), it was just as good as I remembered tendeloin could be.

Scotty,

Nothing would please me more than to share some of this fine meat. It was done to perfection (medium rare). I have a couple of spots that merit my attention on August 15 to see if I can't induce a young moose to accompany me home. Provided the weather holds and there are no thunderstorms, I plan on going up toward the Pine Pass to do some fishing this weekend and to scout for black bear and moose while I'm there. It is a favourite place for fishing. It has good grizzly populations, and moose can be pretty good in that area.

I am looking forward to that hunt Mike. I am sure you will do pretty well out there. Only a couple of weeks and you'll be in the thick of the hunting season again!

What are you going to carry for the opener this year?

I'm still hoping for the 9.3X64 by this time. If not, the 338 Federal or a .307 Winchester should get the nod.

Man, you just made it sound even better Mike. I hope you are able to get the 307 out and give Bullwinkle the good news..

The .307 is on my list of rifles to receive some focus in the coming several weeks, Scotty.

Looking forward to it Mike. I hope them 307's get a little time in the field this Fall. Talk about cool! Man, it'll be sweet to see the little 94 laying over a moose or elk this Fall.

Back