Tight bolt with virgin unfired brass.

Heavy Barrel

Beginner
Apr 3, 2015
Got two different brands of brass for my 270 Win. Brand X is supposed to be ready to reload right out of the box. While brand Y is known to need prep work done.

Neither brand I have no issues chambering in my rifle. Though when I lock the bolt, is where the difference is noticed. Brand Y, I experience no resistance when chambering and locking the bolt. While brand X, I’m getting a tight bolt.

After measuring the case head. I’m seeing a 0.0035” variance between the brands. Would this be enough to cause a tight bolt? If so, how do I correct it? Or do I need to investigate further?

It could mean that your chamber is much closer to minimum SAAMI specs. Which means a tighter chamber.
Although some.cartridge companies say you can use their brass right away to load, its still a good idea to full length size before using them, and then workng from there to see if you want to just neck size, or keep.full length sizing.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Did you measure the length of the brass?
Brand X may need to be trimmed in length???

Blkram":2uliwos0 said:
Did you measure the length of the brass?
Brand X may need to be trimmed in length???
That´s a really good idea as well

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

As has been said already full length size all your cases. It does not matter what brand X,Y or Z says about their cases being ready to load in my 40 years of hand loading I have NEVER experienced any that were. Normally the neck is too tight and when you go to seat a bullet, especially if it is a flat base, you will often crush a neck or bulge a shoulder. Been there done that and have the T-shirt and a hat.

What is the rifle the brass is going into? My Christensen requires new brass to go through a small base die to function.

Back