What is the difference?

freebird63

Beginner
Dec 9, 2011
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between an AccuBond & balistic tip hunting bullet??
I believe the BC is the same and I also see that the balistic tip in the 7MM only goes up to a 150gr and the AccuBond goes up to 160gr in the 7MM.
Thanks
Chuck

Is there any noticeable difference in there performance once they hit their intended target-mule deer in the vitals. I have only ever used accubonds.

Chuck,

Either bullet will work very effectively on mule deer. I am assuming from your comments that you are using a 7mm rifle. I use a 140 grain Ballistic Silver Tip out of a .280, and it flattens mule deer and whitetail. My current load that I am focused on is built around a 140 grain Partition, which will work equally well. A 150 grain bullet will work equally well for you. A 160 grain bullet, provided you are able to get good velocity, will work very well on mule deer, or on elk, as far as that goes.

I am shooting a 280AI, I first tried some 140gr accubonds, then tried some 162gr amaxes and had some change laying around and bought a box of 160gr accubonds. With the 162gr amaxes I was getting about 2950fps using H1000 and WLR primers. Some have said to try magpro powder but I am not sure how temp sensitive it is???? thats why I have stuck with the hodgdon extreme powders. I also have a jug of H4831SC. Thanks for all the input.
I must say this forum is becoming my favorite one as it seems I get more responses from all the users unlike some of the other forums I never get a reply. Have a Merry Christmas all.

Your 280 AI will devour the 160 grain AB with aplomb. MagPro will work just fine for you. I shoot a fair amount of this particular powder, and truthfully, I don't find it to be particularly temperature sensitive. You were getting good velocity with the 162 grain A-Max bullets; you will probably find similar velocity (though a more robust terminal performance) from the 160 grain AccuBonds.

Welcome here Chuck, and that 280 AI is a great cartridge. That and the plain jane 280 Remington are wonderful. I had the latter and loved it and someday hopefully very soon, I want to get another 280.

My 280 really liked the 140 gr. Partition and IMR4350. I played a bit with H4831SC and it also looked like it would work very well. I never got to try the Accubonds in my 280 before I sold it, but I do like them a lot. MY son shot his elk this year with an AccuBond in his 300 WSM and it worked very well. I'd shoot a 140-160 gr. AccuBond or Partition for everything in that rifle and my final choice would come down to which one of them shot the best. Good luck with your loads!
David

I prefer the AccuBond in my 7mm Remington Mag. I have shot BTs from a .270 into deer with great results but it did open up really quick and I fear it would not hold together on bigger animals. The AccuBond is bonded and the BT is not. Shot an elk two years ago with the 160 grain AB and it penetrated side to side and put it down very quickly. Your .280 AI should be able to get the velocity or better. I wish I had gone that route.

Corey

I shoot RL-22, and 7828 in my 280 AI with the 140 BT (3150 fps), and the 160 AB (2950 fps). the 160 AB has accounted for one mule deer buck @ 410 yards, and a 3x4 bull elk @ 420 yards. Full penatration on both. The 140 Bt has taken one buck @ 300 yards, and a 5x6 bull elk @ 200 yards. I have also taken a bear with a few 120 BTs, wouldn't reccomend them for bears.

The BT will take deer and elk, but the AB gives guy some piece of mind that if something goes wrong that you will have a little tougher bullet to help make up for it. They hold together a bit better on the closer shots, and retain enough weight to drive out the other side on the farther shots. It is pretty hard to find a better all around bullet than the AB.

"160 AB has accounted for one mule deer buck @ 410 yards, and a 3x4 bull elk @ 420 yards. Full penatration on both. The 140 Bt has taken one buck @ 300 yards, and a 5x6 bull elk @ 200 yards."

Quite a track record of proven performance. Cool.

Back to the OP - the AccuBond is essentially a bonded version of the older Ballistic Tip. AccuBond bullets have the lead core and the jacket "bonded" together, for a tougher bullet. The Ballistic Tip isn't bonded, but still does a great job on game. Think of the AccuBond as a heavy duty version of the Ballistic Tip.

If you're shooting deer, I see no reason not to use the B-Tip. Works great. If you're concerned about jacket-core separation, get the AccuBond.

Regards, Guy

I use the Partition 160 grain in the 7 Rem Mag and the 160 AccuBond in the .280 Rem. I have been loading 160 gr Partitions for the 7mm Mag since 1963 and hate to change anything now. I have killed quite a few deer at longish ranges with the Partition in the 7mm mag. I use it when the reach is going to be a little long for my .270 Win or for bigger deer.

The 160 AccuBond can drive at 3000+ in my .280 and kills deer just fine.

Back