35 Newton 270 grain Northfork

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I am headed out to test the 270 grain North Fork this morning. I loaded three to put on paper and one to put into the jugs. Any bets or ideas on how many jugs it'll take to stop one of them? :lol:

That mass at the velocities you will generate will be a real stopper for any game you might encounter in NA, and perhaps in the world. Should be fascinating, Scotty.

DrMike":3rpregh3 said:
That mass at the velocities you will generate will be a real stopper for any game you might encounter in NA, and perhaps in the world. Should be fascinating, Scotty.

We shall see Mike. I don't expect a ton as far as accuracy from the load since it is just a starter, but it is my first round with the Northforks. Pretty neat bullet really.

I blame Gerry for this. He PROMISED us some jug tests with the 275 Woodleigh, so I figured I would try a different bullet, just for comparison.. Those left handed Canadians always seem to get over on on right handed shooters! :lol:

I'll guess the bullet will be recovered from the 7th or 8th jug Scotty. Let us know!

Guy

I'm with Guy, 7 or 8 jugs.
Its going to be a penetrating power house for sure.

JD338

I'm sorry Scotty, I need to find someone that has some jugs for me to blast :( I will get on it asap :)

The Northfork will probably open really wide so I will guess 6-7 jugs.

What's the projected velocity? Some times big bullets don't go as deep as we think they should. But it ought to be a stomper.

JD338":3uly1ty8 said:
I'm with Guy, 7 or 8 jugs.
Its going to be a penetrating power house for sure.

JD338

Me too 8) ..I guessing 7 jugs, with a weight retention between 263-265grs :twisted:

Lou

gerry":2263qqg6 said:
I'm sorry Scotty, I need to find someone that has some jugs for me to blast :( I will get on it asap :)

Gerry,

Drink more milk. :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":3ngfobyu said:
gerry":3ngfobyu said:

Gerry,

Drink more milk. :mrgreen:

JD338
:lol: ..or you can buy some 1 gallon filled water jugs for only $1.29/jug 8) ..if I'm short a few jugs that's what I do pal :shock: :grin:

I've seen the jugs you Canadians drink out of, and they're not full of water.... :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":1et7l1oa said:
I've seen the jugs you Canadians drink out of, and they're not full of water.... :mrgreen:
You saying they drink Everclear? or some good old fashion home made from corn shine :roll: :lol:

Guy Miner":2m4h970d said:

Mine are filled with milk, or water, or orange juice. :? What are the others drinking? :shock:

DrMike":9c7xr0rb said:
Guy Miner":9c7xr0rb said:

Mine are filled with milk, or water, or orange juice. :? What are the others drinking? :shock:

Me too Mike :grin: ...but some times motor oil, engine coolant or washer fluid, but I don't dare drink that stuff :roll:

Lou :)

Good point, Lou. Yeah, I guess I have quite a number of bottles that held windshield washer fluid. The big problem is that I can't shoot "one gallon jugs," I have to shoot four litre jugs. 'Course, if we did shoot one-gallon jugs, it would be Imperial gallons. Hoo, boy, I'm getting confused. :? Am I drinking the windshield washer fluid and putting the orange juice in the reservoir?

DrMike":27yml7ki said:
Good point, Lou. Yeah, I guess I have quite a number of bottles that held windshield washer fluid. The big problem is that I can't shoot "one gallon jugs," I have to shoot four litre jugs. 'Course, if we did shoot one-gallon jugs, it would be Imperial gallons. Hoo, boy, I'm getting confused. :? Am I drinking the windshield washer fluid and putting the orange juice in the reservoir?
That's funny Mike :lol: ...4 litre jugs works for me pal :) ..after all, there's 3.7 litres in 1 US gallon,so I think we're good :wink:

Lou

I would think 6 jugs will start to slow the bullet down and it will end up in the 7th :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Are we talking four litre jugs, Dan? Or are we talking one US gallon jugs? We have to know what we are talking about! :grin:

Alright fellas, here is it, went 2700 over the chrono. Would have had a decent group to show, but since it was shooting lower than the 225 AB's, it tore my paper down. Only had four bullets and the 4th one went into the jugs.

BUT, I found one of the bullets in the dirt behind my 200 yard target...

I was very impressed to find that bullet in such awesome shape and expanded so well.

It retained 222.6 grains and was .758" at it's widest point. Pretty good mushroom for dirt and rock.

Now, after all that, here was the jug test.

It was found coming out of the 7th jug..

The water jugged bullet was coming out of 7, retained 255.3 grains and was .705" at it's widest point

All in all, it is a very impressive bullet that looks like it'll shoot well right outta the gates in my rifle. I'll give them another try and shoot a little higher. Their expansion and penetration is pretty good. Their shank looks very strong with a big supported mushroom. Not sure what isn't to like about them. Not saying they are any better than a 250 PT, but they are another good option in the 35 caliber rifles.

Very impressive performance, Scotty. One must be impressed with the integrity when plowing through dirt and rock. Seven jugs ain't bad at all!

Back