35 Newton 270 grain Northfork

No, I was very impressed Mike. Seems like a great bullet. I am not sure what needs 270 grains of that bullet for hunting, but I have a feeling that sorta bullet wouldn't leave a guy/gal wanting for much more. It is a heckuva rifle though. I really dig that 35 Newton. Very impressive with those big bullets.

Keep it up and you may be the cause for a revival of what once appeared to be dead. I sure agree that the Newton is a stompin' machine that will git 'er done about anywhere in the world.

I think alot of folks would like it. Nothing really more than the great 358 Norma, but cases are simple to make from 375 Ruger brass and man, it is a sweet looking cartridge. I am really antsy to get the new scope on the rifle and run it out a little longer, but it is showing all the signs of a great hunting rifle so far.

That is outstanding performance Scotty, it will open up a large wound channel and penetrate deep on very big animals. That thing screams close range coastal grizzlies and moose, I bet it doesn't blow a lot of meat to heck on moose either. I hear there are some big and mean buffalo living in Texas that would be worthy of such a slug.......... :)

TEXAS!!! Never thought of that.

I would imagine it would make a great moose and brown bear load, that is for certain. I was very happy to see that bullet sticking out of the back of the 7th jug. Pretty sure that is in 375 territory.. Plus, it is a really handy rifle. I can see it getting some use.

Now, just gotta wait and see what those Woodleighs are all about! :lol:

Scotty, that is outstanding performance right there pal!..that bullet well penetrate anything short of an M1 tank!..well done bro!

Lou

Thanks Lou. It is my first real go around with the Northforks. Pretty awesome option. I have some 225 Northforks for the 338 I will try once I get my 338 up and running again.

Yep I believe John Barsness shot some kind of nasty Asian buffalo there and help to put down another one that had a 9.3mm A Frame at high speed fail to get through a shoulder. I don't think there is anything that could cause this bullet to fail :) With that short barrel on it that Newton would be awesome in the brush but can reach out a very long ways too :)

And yes I will rectify my tardiness in not testing the 275 gr Woodleigh :oops: I need to beg or steal some more jugs :) That and work up a load this week after work.

SJB358":1aadqsok said:
TEXAS!!! Never thought of that.

I would imagine it would make a great moose and brown bear load, that is for certain. I was very happy to see that bullet sticking out of the back of the 7th jug. Pretty sure that is in 375 territory.. Plus, it is a really handy rifle. I can see it getting some use.

Now, just gotta wait and see what those Woodleighs are all about! :lol:

Wow, I can't imagine an A-Frame not doing better. They are tough as heck as well.

I can't wait to see what the Woodleigh does Gerry. That is another that would probably be fearsome for expansion too.

Man, it is fun seeing what these big bullets do. I look at the pile of bullets I have and realize I am still a rookie compared to what Guy and JD have done. It is addicting but really, it is nice to know what they act like and how they might look coming out of something tough.

Not too much will walk away very far after taking a few of those or 1 in a good place :mrgreen: that is a wicked looking mushroom Scotty ! I was checking them out and I would imagine a solid would take down just about anything walking :grin: was also looking at Garrett Hammerheads but they seem really heavy ?

You guys should be a shamed of yourselves wasting all that water when Kalifornia is having a drought and sucking the life out of the earth. :roll: :lol:

HA! No offense to CA, but I have plenty of swamp water here!..

Great looking bullet Scotty. I just realized NF is only about 15 or so miles from my house.

Dang, that'd be cool if you could get a tour of their place.

Scotty

7 jugs is impressive penetration.

JD338

truck driver":33ao95wi said:
JD338":33ao95wi said:
Scotty

7 jugs is impressive penetration.

JD338
I do agree with you Jim but my are they expensive. Some where around a $1.80 a pop. :shock:

I do agree with the expensive part of that, but for a hunting rifle, that might see 50 rounds a year, if I am lucky, one box of bullets a year isn't even a 1/2 tank of fuel for my diesel. Not saying I am running out to buy ton's of em, but for hunting, I'll spend the extra little bit on bullets. I travel a bunch for elk, so putting a little extra into the 2.00 bullet that does all the work makes sense to me.

Scotty is correct, bullets are cheap when we weigh the cost of our shooting/hunting. A premium bullet that shoots well in a hunting rifle is insurance against failure.

DrMike":p9nbs680 said:
Scotty is correct, bullets are cheap when we weigh the cost of our shooting/hunting. A premium bullet that shoots well in a hunting rifle is insurance against failure.
I'll agree to that, I always want my ammo to be the best I can get and perform to my expectations. With a planed trip with considerable cost the price of a good bullet is just minor compared to a cheap bullet that ruins the trip.
I just got price shock when I viewed the web page. I sure wouldn't use them for local stuff where I live. Isn't nothing around where I live an inexpensive Hornady won't take care of. :mrgreen:

Without a doubt buddy. Hornadys would likely work just fine anywhere but the extra makes me feel better. That's worth a little extra to me.

Back