35 Whelen 250 gr PT

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
35 Whelen 250 gr PT at 2450 fps recovered in 7th water jug.
35Whelen250grPT.jpg

JD338

And a few more recovered from everything but jugs. Some hardwood and dirt banks mostly. Scotty

DSC_2595.jpg

DSC_2729.jpg

DSC_2730.jpg

DSC_2898.jpg

Nice... Any expanding bullet that gets to the 6th, 7th or 8th jug is doing some serious penetration. That looks like a very fine big game bullet!

I went out today and just shot some jugs. Brought 20 of them with me, figuring I'd have enough to try out three bullets.. Well, the Whelen smoked that idea.

I chrono'ed the load first and shot on paper to make sure it was okay. Ran 2662 FPS over my chrono today. Probably around 90* around here or a little better today. Usually runs around 2630/2640 FPS or so.

Either way, I found this bullet in jug number 8! Yeah, that's right, I recounted and recounted, but it was there. Lucky to, as I was only expecting 7 but set an 8th up, jug to catch if needed. Glad I did.

Retained 204.6 and expanded to a .680" diameter. Very impressive bullet. Lot of shank on this bullet.

There is not much in NA that will stand up to that load. Excellent results.

Very happy with load in general. That load shoots really well in my rifle and is just a perfect combo for what I hunt with the Whelen.

Fotis, can we get a .348" bullet section?

That's a great load there Scotty, for a bullet that's 66 yrs old, it's still one of the best around!..That bullet is picture perfect!. 8)

Lou

For penetration the old girl looks like she is keeping up with the Newton.
Is that out of a 24" barrel or 22"?

24" barrel.

It'll run with the big guys just fine. I'm sure the Newton wouldn't do any better or at least enough to matter.

It's good to see you giving the Whelen some love. It was probably getting a little jealous with you spending some time with the Newton. I'm running the 250's at around 2500 and have not tried to go any further due to them shooting well at that point. Awesome.

Bill I'm with you but my rifle really started to perk up around the 2550 range and just kept getting tighter as I crept up. I find no problems with case life nor rifle issues. I know it's a warm load but it's loaded a little longer COAL than standard and just performs excellent. Between the Whelen and the 338 those two are proven. The Newton is still trying to earn its place Bill.

That ranks up there with the 270 gr North Fork and has an edge on the 225 gr AccuBond, both excellent bullets, interesting..........

You aren't kidding Gerry. It's really my favorite in the Whelen. Accuracy is excellent in my rifle. So much for 1-16's not shooting well.

Between the 225 gr AB and 250 gr PTin your rifle it looks like you are all set.

Yeah, I stocked up on the 250 PTs awhile back. I've got enough to kill NA a few times over!

Might have to try them in the Newton though.

Impressive results Scotty.

JD338

Back