.458 cal 300 gr. North Fork Bonded Flat Point

I'm certain it will be informative. However, the pictures didn't post. Could I encourage you to try again? I know that what I've seen of the North Fork bullets is very positive to this point.

Yeah, I wanna see them pictures! I have some of the 350's for the 45-70, just haven't loaded a single one of them yet..

Might just have to get on that since I have some new Starline cases to work with now...

Very impressive.

300 grain stone at 2930fps . That is nasty.

Large and dangerous game, beware.

Rhoden101":23t5q03o said:
They are my new close quarters elk load!

Rhoden101

Sweet! You shouldn't need to do much tracking if you hit an elk with that.

What kind of energy does it give?

Just over 5700 lbs at the muzzle if the calulator I used is correct!.....If I am wrong will some body correct me.

Rhoden101

Nice!
That is some impressive bullet performance.
I get 5718 FPE with a MV of 2930 FPS. That is some serious power for sure!

JD338

Rhoden101":39ruphuf said:
Just over 5700 lbs at the muzzle if the calulator I used is correct!.....If I am wrong will some body correct me.

Rhoden101

As I said before... Nasty.

I always thought of the .458 lott as a perfect cartridge for the big stuff in Africa.

I'd like to hear about your rifle and how you have it set up. Also, what is the recoil like?

Largest thing I've fired is a .375 H&H

The rifle is a Ruger M77 mark II Safari Magnum with a 2-7 Vortex Viper. recoil is similar to 375 H&H with 300 Gr. Bullets. 400 & 500 grain bullets are a diffrent story! The original stock cracked after 4th shot while shooting 400 gr. Federal Premium factory .458 win. mag. loads. Ruger replaced the stock free of charge when I sent it back to them.

Rhoden101

Rhoden, that is very awesome bullet performance! Man, you do make me wanna break out those 350's FPs and give them a whirl. Great job with the pictures. That would topple elk with some serious authority.

Interesting. I hadn't thought about the possibility of using .458 win mag ammo in the lott. I guess it's like using .44 specials in a mag revolver.

I have a TC encore and a .375 barrel for it. A few years ago, I loaded some 270grn fail safes. The rifle is a bit light for the round IMO, but I definitely got it more in the cheek than the shoulder. The shoulder recoil felt more like a push than a slam.

Good stuff. I appreciate your replies.

North Fork seems to be a fine bullet but cost right at $100 for 50 shipped. I wish Nosler or Swift would start making a 300 Partition or A-frame (Nosler did for a while).

That amount of mass moving at the velocities generated will do a lot of damage; it is difficult to stop the forward progress. Great performance of a superb bullet.

I agree and the balistics of this combination look good out to about 300 yards and that is why I am so interested on the 300/350 gr. weight in a 458 Lott. I will have to put it to use here in the states untill I can put it to its intended use in Africa!

Rhoden101

The cartridge will definitely work for anything you might encounter here in North America. Sasquatch, beware! :mrgreen:

Northforks are great! Very accurate stuff.
I just wish they would do something with the semi spitzer points though.
I can not see using a 200 gr Northfork in my 30-378... might as well shoot a round nose (almost).

I have talked to Mike Brady in Glenrock WY tons of times before he sold the business.
He was about to put ballistic tips on them and pending on the outcome of the accuracy tests he would release/ not release.

I do not know the status now that the company is sold.

FOTIS":2ojhdsaq said:
Northforks are great! Very accurate stuff.
I just wish they would do something with the semi spitzer points though.
I can not see using a 200 gr Northfork in my 30-378... might as well shoot a round nose (almost).

I have talked to Mike Brady in Glenrock WY tons of times before he sold the business.
He was about to put ballistic tips on them and pending on the outcome of the accuracy tests he would release/ not release.

I do not know the status now that the company is sold.

I am with you to a certain extent, but for heavy game, I see alot of merit to the NF's. Granted, they aren't extreme range bullets, but from what I have seen, they are accurate like you said Fotis and out to 400, they seem like some awesome performers.. I guess not too much different than a Swift A-Frame for that matter.. I like the heavy lead bullets. Wanted to try some of them in my 338 or 35 Whelen, but I am too poor to just experiment with 2$ a piece bullets!

I know exactly where you're coming from Scott. Problem is when I go elk hunting for instance I need to be prepared for a 50 yard or 500 yard shot.

You never know what you might run into. Hence I like to stack the deck in my favor.

Back