8mm 220 Hornady

OU812":1fwhvd0z said:
bullet":1fwhvd0z said:
OU812":1fwhvd0z said:
I don't doubt a sierra will exit a deer but in doing so I'll bet there is a lot of wasted meat in the process

Bill

It might but there will be enough left for you and I to sit down and enjoy some deer meat over a good meal. I was making reference to black bear or 300 pound plus hog if I get a chance on one and hopefully up close.

I will hold you to that Mike :grin:. Once again I bet you do get the chance at 1 or both. you guys bait bears? We can't here in Oregon.

Bill

You can not hunt bears in Mississippi. I hunt them in Arizona and you are not allowed to bait theme there. I like that because it is spot and stalk hunting.

It might but there will be enough left for you and I to sit down and enjoy some deer meat over a good meal. I was making reference to black bear or 300 pound plus hog if I get a chance on one and hopefully up close.[/quote]

I will hold you to that Mike :grin:. Once again I bet you do get the chance at 1 or both. you guys bait bears? We can't here in Oregon.

Bill[/quote]

You can not hunt bears in Mississippi. I hunt them in Arizona and you are not allowed to bait theme there. I like that because it is spot and stalk hunting.[/quote]

We got lots of bear here but have never had any desire to hunt them.

Bill

Kinda off topic here but this is the whole reason we reload and buy premium bullets right? So we can shoot lots have utmost confidence in out equipment. Shoot little tiny groups and know that when you do your part that the parts we have assembled will do there's no matter the circumstances. As somebodies quote goes, "I want a bullet that will work when everything else goes wrong!"

nvbroncrider":zt2cg1jy said:
As somebodies quote goes, "I want a bullet that will work when everything else goes wrong!"

Very good quote nvbroncrider, and it pretty much says it all. Hey, I found another box of 250gr Barnes originals and they will be here in a week or so giving me now 190 of them. I will at the end of this week have my load work for the 250gr Barnes Original pretty well sowed up and should be somewhere between 2780 and 2810fps (this is where I think I will be). :mrgreen:

nvbroncrider":pcfabp0h said:
As somebodies quote goes, "I want a bullet that will work when everything else goes wrong!"

That is my point exactly. I can count on 1 hand all of the perfect TV hunting show shot angles I have taken on deer and elk and in comparison to the number of deer and elk taken (more deer than elk) the % of perfect shot angles is pretty small. When I am out hunting I have no way to know how close or distant my intended target will present it's self. I have set a long distance limit for my self but up close all bets are off and I want/need a bullet I have faith in to cover this range as best as can be knowing 90% of my shots opportunity will be 200 or less. And for me when hunting elk there are certain bullets that just don't make the grade.

Bill

bullet":z5t5y9bx said:
Hey, I found another box of 250gr Barnes originals and they will be here in a week or so giving me now 190 of them. I will at the end of this week have my load work for the 250gr Barnes Original pretty well sowed up and should be somewhere between 2780 and 2810fps (this is where I think I will be). :mrgreen:

Now that is one bullet I would elk hunt with no questions asked with the utmost faith out to 500 yards. I am waiting to hear the final velocity and group size.

Bill

Yes, I am looking forward to it also.

Here is the 220gr Sierra 3018fps
TgtGfx-3.jpg

Mike for what it's worth the BC of the .323 cal 250gr Original at .512, pretty nice BC if ya ask me. Ought to do well at longer ranges and sure as hell will hold up at close range. Get a few more and that would be my bullet of choice given the 2 choices.

Bill

OU812":skejaedz said:
Mike for what it's worth the BC of the .323 cal 250gr Original at .512, pretty nice BC if ya ask me. Ought to do well at longer ranges and sure as hell will hold up at close range. Get a few more and that would be my bullet of choice given the 2 choices.

Bill

Will know by sometime next week how the 250gr will preform :mrgreen:

Those should be some hammers. Great BC and the bullet weight to truck on through about anything!

Scotty, sure would be nice if they perform well, because I think you are more than right about them being a hammer. It would be a bullet that would have a balance of energy and momentum retaining over 2,000ft pound of energy out past 550yds and the bullet weight to plow through a lot of animal.

bullet":3bdp00ee said:
It would be a bullet that would have a balance of energy and momentum retaining over 2,000ft pound of energy out past 550yds and the bullet weight to plow through a lot of animal.

Boy howdy.

Bill

I finally received my Sinclair expander 8mm mandrel and my Sinclair neck turning 8mm mandrel. The reason I got these two was the tremendous neck tension the RCBS seem to cause by reducing the inside of the neck to .318" and then you add the average high side of the out side of my Remington necks was .007" and these two factors I believe attributing to some of the flyers and opened groups during my load work.

What caused me to go with the expander mandrel and then follow up with the neck turning mandrel was when I pulled some bullets because I wanted to change the loads to a different load, I had to use a lot of pressure to pull the bullets, much more so than anytime in the past that I can remember.

The inside of the necks were .318" they are now .320" and the out sides have been turned so they will expand evenly in the chamber. This will give me much better neck consistency and tension. I am sure this will impact my loads for the positive and give me even more consistency from group to group. Pressures should be more consistent because of this, giving me even better deviation and extreme spread.

Will be putting all of this to the test hopefully this coming week. :)

Back