8mm 220 Hornady

bullet":2aqho90t said:
OU812":2aqho90t said:
bullet":2aqho90t said:
I sure hope Scotty knows what you are talking about, I must be real dense, I don't know for sure what you are saying to him? :shock: :shock: I have been accused of being slow, so I need some help. :mrgreen:

Mike I'll do the best I can to help ya buddy, I'll even type slow if that helps? .

Ever see the "help the children funds" on TV? Well this is the "help the 8mm owners in need of a 220 NP bullet" fund. Make sense now?

Bill

OK, now I am on board :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Figured it would come pretty quickly. :grin:

Whew! I'm even reading slow, Bill. Good thing you're writing slowly.

Well, I tried :(

To: xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:52:47 -0500
Subject: RE: "Product Availability Inquiries"
Ian,

Unfortunately, no. We do not have any plans to reintroduce this bullet right now.

Thank you,

Hornady Sales Team

phone 1-800-338-3220

As far as I am concerned they are the only hope for a real premium long range hunting bullet since the Swift A-Frame does not have a good BC, and even if Hornady was still making their 220gr bullet, since it is only a Cup Core bullet with and inter locking ring. If I am going to use a cup core I want the BC of the Sierra. Yes, I sure wish Nosler would fill the gap, being innovative as they have in the past and willing to take the risk like they have on so many occasions.

One company I am a little surprised that doesn't make the 8mm at all is Northfork. They seem to cover the other bores pretty well with hunting bullets. I wonder how the Woodleigh 220 PP works out. Looks like a decently sleek bullet too. It's a Weldcore, so maybe it would be another good one..

SJB358":2yonn7ey said:
One company I am a little surprised that doesn't make the 8mm at all is Northfork. They seem to cover the other bores pretty well with hunting bullets. I wonder how the Woodleigh 220 PP works out. Looks like a decently sleek bullet too. It's a Weldcore, so maybe it would be another good one..

Northfork - Production cost and projected sales on their tight budget they don't want to take the risk, not as much capital as larger companies..

Woodleigh - Not a good BC for long range

Mike what are you thinking long range wise? 600 yards?

Bill

OU812":fqxlcegh said:

Bill

That is kinda what I was thinking. I have no problems shooting out to 600 yards with the 35 Whelen and 225 AB's which only sport a BC of about .430?

Same for the 270WSM, I shoot it out to 600 with 150 BT's and 150 PT's, neither of them are over a .500 BC.. I would think anything in the +.400's would get you out to 500-600 yards with alot of energy left. I think the Whelen is still creeping along at 1500FtLbs' or so at 600, the 8RM with any bullet should still be in that same ballpark.

SJB358":1604cgi8 said:
OU812":1604cgi8 said:

Bill

That is kinda what I was thinking. I have no problems shooting out to 600 yards with the 35 Whelen and 225 AB's which only sport a BC of about .430?

Same for the 270WSM, I shoot it out to 600 with 150 BT's and 150 PT's, neither of them are over a .500 BC.. I would think anything in the +.400's would get you out to 500-600 yards with alot of energy left. I think the Whelen is still creeping along at 1500FtLbs' or so at 600, the 8RM with any bullet should still be in that same ballpark.

Guys retained energy is also a key. I can hit some part of and elk with the A-Frame at 500yds but I do not want to just hit some part of the elk, I want the bullet in a small area, in fact I owe it to the game and myself and I cannot compromise this. I want to hit it right where I should hit the animal, so much so that I won't compromise my shot due to my position in the field if I think I cannot do it because of circumstance. Nosler Patition and AccuBond weighing 220grs wil have a better BC and be a better down range bullet than the A-Frame, hornady and though they will not quit have the BC of the Sierra they will be better constructed bullets for the job.

SJB358":2phqllbh said:

...low BC of the Woodleighs & Swifts lose any advantage the heavier bullets have over a .300 in both energy & trajectory @ 500yds+...

bullet":2ynwg96o said:
I just wrote a long email letter to Mason concerning the Partition. In short my reason for the 220gr Partition and not the AccuBond as their first run.

Mason, I know that you all get a lot of request for specific bullets in certain calibers that you have not manufactured as of yet or might never manufacture. I just recently acquired an 8mm Remington Magnum and I am able with below max loads to drive a 220gr Sierra SBT at 3018fps on the average using IMR7828. I was also able to get these velocities with RL-25, but it was not as accurate as IMR7828. I don't have to tell you that any cartridge that can drive a 220gr bullet over 3000fps is a very serious big game load as well as a very good long range load retaining 2,000 pounds of energy out to 597yds.

Now all of this said, the 220gr Sierra is not for up close work at these velocities and therefore inhibits it from being a good all around load for the 8mm Remington Magnum. I will be doing some serious work and hunting with this cartridge over the next two years or so, taking it on hunts with me. I believe that even the 325WSM would do very well for large to dangerous big game if there was a 220gr bullet that is more accurate than the Swift A-Frame and better BC like the Partition or AccuBond. I know that a Partition or AccuBond would really take my 8mm Remington Magnum to another level especially allowing it to be an all around bullet for up close work on large game as well as a long range bullet due to BC retaining more energy than any 200gr bullet.

My experience hunting dangerous game causes me to think that the 220gr Partition would be the best due to its none bonded front which allows for immediate dynamic shock as well as ejecting many projectiles into and just beyond the immediate impact area on dangerous game having the ability to shut down their nervous system. This would be especially true concerning charging dangerous game or game in close proximity of the hunter. Then follows the back half of the Partition that breaks down the skeletal structure creating a cavitating wound channel while penetrating deep or even exiting leaving as always and excellent blood trail. At these velocities the Partition would be and optimum terminal bullet and also an all around performer, not only for the 8mm Remington Magnum (by the way I believe will come back some) but also the 325WSM as well. The AccuBond is fine but I would opt for the Partition as a serious killer and penetrating bullet for big game.

I hope you all would consider a run on a 220gr Partition in 8mm .323. Yours Truly, Mike Price :)

Nice job Mike. I wish you guys all the luck.

FOTIS":y56xgy2p said:
I hope you all would consider a run on a 220gr Partition in 8mm .323. Yours Truly, Mike Price :)[/b]

Nice job Mike. I wish you guys all the luck.[/quote]
\
Thanks, sure hope they do :mrgreen:

bullet":30hb33m5 said:
SJB358":30hb33m5 said:
OU812":30hb33m5 said:

Bill

Guys retained energy is also a key. I can hit some part of and elk with the A-Frame at 500yds but I do not want to just hit some part of the elk, I want the bullet in a small area, in fact I owe it to the game and myself and I cannot compromise this. I want to hit it right where I should hit the animal, so much so that I won't compromise my shot due to my position in the field if I think I cannot do it because of circumstance. Nosler Patition and AccuBond weighing 220grs wil have a better BC and be a better down range bullet than the A-Frame, hornady and though they will not quit have the BC of the Sierra they will be better constructed bullets for the job.

I agree energy is also key, but, while not my first choice, the 220 A frame can be placed just as well in the an elk "small area" as the sierra, just need a few more clicks of the turret or scope power adjustment of the BDC type scopes.

What I do want is as much bullet performance balance as possible with a tilt in the up close direction than 500-600 direction simply because I try and do everything possible to close the gap. I'm sure the Sierra does fine at longer ranges but I have no faith in the Sierra bullets up close and personal. Since I hunt timber more than open country and while I have not shot an elk at 25 yards in the timber (little more than that but not too much) it's way more likely than me shooting one at 400 plus.

I do remember seeing a bullet 220 Sierra that wildgene posted that was recovered from an elk at over 200 yards I believe with a muzzle velocity 2800ish? and it looked very good. If all I shot was 200 plus yards I'm sure I would be quite happy with the 220 sierras as my elk bullet.

Bill

OU812":3q1wslpk said:
I agree energy is also key, but, while not my first choice, the 220 A frame can be placed just as well in the an elk "small area" as the sierra, just need a few more clicks of the turret or scope power adjustment of the BDC type scopes.

Bill

Your comment is true only if the A-Frame is really shooting accurate for you at 100yds and when tried past 300yds is still doing well. A-Frames are actually tough most of the time to get real good groups at 100yds and then to maintain that way down range. Also, this fall I am going to prove that the Sierra will exit game up close if I can get that shot, but I would really prefer a better 220gr than the Sierra.

bullet":md4dfhtu said:
OU812":md4dfhtu said:

Bill

You comment is true only if the A-Frame is really shooting accurate for you at 100yds and when tried past 300yds is still doing well. A-Frames are actually tough most of the time to get real good groups at 100yds and then to maintain that way down range. Also, this fall I am going to prove that the Sierra will exit game up close if I can get that shot, but I would really prefer a better 220gr than the Sierra.

Your first sentence is true for ALL bullets not just the A-frame. Bullets need to be accurate at ALL ranges one intends to use them at. Some bullets might be more accurate as the distances increases and less so up close and vise versa, that's why we shoot and practice at intended ranges so we know what the load will and will not do so we can set limits or find something better.

For hunting purposes up close we can get away with a less accuracy, true 2 moa group will kill deer and elk just fine to 400 yards, that's an 8 inch group. That means you are impacting 4 inches from your point of aim which will fit nicely in the vitals of either. Do we all strive for better accuracy? Sure we do.

The swift A frame would not be my first choice for long range shooting as that is not it's best use for intended purpose and I do realize that in the 8mm there are not many 220 grain choices left to choose from.

I'll bet you get that shot Mike. You guys can kill 10 deer or so can't ya? I don't doubt a sierra will exit a deer but in doing so I'll bet there is a lot of wasted meat in the process or from what I have seen who used sierra bullets and struck bone, core-lokt bullets are not much different. Deer sized game was never in my mind when I think of my uses for the 8mm and 220 grain bullets.

Bill

OU812":knadulcz said:
I don't doubt a sierra will exit a deer but in doing so I'll bet there is a lot of wasted meat in the process

Bill

It might but there will be enough left for you and I to sit down and enjoy some deer meat over a good meal. I was making reference to black bear or 300 pound plus hog if I get a chance on one and hopefully up close.

bullet":3u01y35f said:
OU812":3u01y35f said:
I don't doubt a sierra will exit a deer but in doing so I'll bet there is a lot of wasted meat in the process

Bill

It might but there will be enough left for you and I to sit down and enjoy some deer meat over a good meal. I was making reference to black bear or 300 pound plus hog if I get a chance on one and hopefully up close.

I will hold you to that Mike :grin:. Once again I bet you do get the chance at 1 or both. you guys bait bears? We can't here in Oregon.

Bill

Back